You know what time it is, we know what time it is. Actually, some of you probably don’t know what time it is so allow us to illuminate you; it’s podcast time, people! And that means 20 glorious minutes of the finest art and design chat available to your human ears, plus a lot of laughing about nothing and the occasional mad rant. What else out there can help you procrastinate and educate you at the same time?
In the first section this week we discussed Damien Hirst’s design contribution to this year’s Brit Awards, we were astounded by the fundraising powers of Kickstarter and Wobble Works in their million dollar startup effort for the extraordinary 3Doodler (above), we took a look at some of the best new magazine covers around (below), laughed a little at Burger King’s unfortunate Twitter hack and then feared the future of mobile technology thanks to Google’s latest wearable product, Glass.
First up in section two we discussed the huge influx of incredible art shows in London at the moment, from The Hayward Gallery’s Light Show to Roy Lichtenstein at Tate and Duchamp at Barbican.
And secondly we took a look at two stunning pieces of animation currently battling it out for an Oscar, one by film students from NFTS and the other from animation behemoths, Disney.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos