Taryn Simon, an artist and photographer now synonymous with her indexing of human and cultural genealogies and experience has teamed up with Aaron Schwartz, an author, analyst and tech creator of some of the most forward-thinking and open platforms for discussion and exchange of information.
This great meeting of minds has been orchestrated by the chronically fascinating Rhizome for The New Museum, and Image Atlas is their brain child. In simplistic and thought-provoking terms (as is Simon’s way) the duo investigate the breaks and continuities of the top image searches for a given subject from across the world. The top results for each location can be viewed in alphabetical order or by the countries’ Gross Domestic Product (GDP), providing an immediate visual taxonomy of cultural differences.
Incidently, the Image Atlas is part of an online exhibition curated by The New Museum on the occasion of the brand-new, re-envisioned website designed by Kettle. It’s a wonderful development in the presence of leading galleries online, setting new standards for the nature of the space and support that they offer online art projects.
- Thomas Prior captures a Mexican festival involving exploding sledgehammers
- The misty-eyed and delicate pencil marks of Lee Kyutae
- Build’s brand identity for product design brand Plæy mirrors its playful and modular designs
- David Bailey's photographs of NW1, republished and exhibited for the first time
- Studio Mut creates a catalogue for Italian art prize that celebrates up-and-coming artists
- A forward-minded retrospective: behind the design of the massive Cedric Price monograph
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich