Here are The Weekender’s New Year resolutions in no particular order. 1. Exercise more. 2. Cut down on cheese consumption (goat/sheep, not cow). 3. Keep old love letters, throw away old bank statements. 4. Quote Baz Luhrmann’s Sunscreen wherever practical. 5. Spend less time obsessing over the finite nature of human existence and the overwhelming futility of life. 6. Floss. 7. Master the Charleston. 8. Marry someone (as in perform the ceremony). 8. Entertain, inform and get away with it. Challo!
Best of the site
Over Christmas and New Year we looked back on 2012 and our countdown of the top ten posts proved very popular, while back to content Two Times Elliott thrilled us with their new stationery and Nabil Sabio Azadi showed us a beautiful travel book with a difference.
Best of Best of the Web
Everyone was back into the groove this week and we particularly enjoyed The Guardian’s Steve Bell looking back on his year in cartoons, we were staggered by these bizarre illustrations from psychology text books over on 50 Watts and we appreciated this look at Creative Review’s timely survey all about money, money, money
Best of the rest
Elsewehere The Telegraph had a very interesting response to a major book prize’s first all-female shortlist, Eye Magazine looked at the future of typography through the prism of a recent exhibition and ShortList wowed us with these minimalist NES games as is their cheeky wont.
Tweet(s) of the week
Our first Tweet of the Week actually goes to a hashtag, with the brilliant #Celebritiesdoingthingsthatrhymewiththeirname providing hours of fun. Some of our favourites…
“Piers Morgan playing an organ.”
Simple, lovely image from @RobbieC971
“Roger Daltrey chasing poultry.””
And ditto from @SimonTreves
“Lady Gaga slaving over a hot Aga.”
Have to say we can’t picture this beaut from @RevRichardColes
“David Haye Reading 50 Shades of Grey.”
And this is a tad disturbing from @lauren_lozenger
Promises, promises of the week
Welcome to the future earth citizens! But what is this brave new world going to look like? And what gadgets can we expect? Well here’s ten currently jumping through crowdfunding hoops that might just arrive this year? Fancy a robot telling you you’re too fat? You’re in luck…
Odd couple of the week (actually of ALL time)
Priscilla Presley was married to arguably the 20th Century’s most significant cultural figure. So what kind of man does she date now? Another behemoth whose influence permeates music, fashion, film and pop culture itself? Or a former British children’s TV presenter who also fronted TV Scrabble and I’m Famous and Frightened? Mindboggling, but here’s hoping it works out!
Inspiration of the week
Bit of holiday weight? Determined to fight the flab in 2013? Then let this montage of movie training montages get you in the mood…
Map maker of the week
Seen Game of Thrones? You should do, it’s ace, and it inspires the kind of devotion that makes a man like Jonathan Roberts make beautiful, detailed maps of the worlds depicted in the books on which it’s based. Swoon.
One-stop shop of the week
I know what you’re thinking. You like the “x” riding on “y” meme. Heck you might even love it. But how the ruddy hell do you keep track of all the marvellous manifestations? Well? Isn’t there some Tumblr that collates them all? THERE IS! Well God bless us, every one!
Wow this ewe’s cheese is so moreish…
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission "Kick over the statues"
- Futur Neue explores texts through clean typography, images and unusual printing techniques
- Zhang Liang's cartoons sum up American pop culture
- Ira Ivanova designs vibrant wristband-inspired identity for Moscow music festival
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations