Lately, I have become fascinated by provocative US pop sensation Ke$ha. After some careful study of her lyrics, I feel she may be a genius. You know how surprising it is to find out Shakespeare coined so many common phrases? Well I think Ke$ha has similarly lofty linguistic ambitions. Take her name for example – this isn’t a typo SHE ACTUALLY SPELLS IT LIKE THIS. Maverick. She also uses phrases like “sick and sexified.” In centuries to come we’ll all be saying that the whole time and someone smug will say: “You know it was Ke$ha who coined that.” You heard it hear first. Where was I? Oh right, The Weekender…
Best of the site
Top of the clocks this week was this insane installation by the wonderfully-named Humans Since 1982, we loved Jamie Hawkesworth’s Ai Weiwei shoot for AnOther magazine and we learned that California police logs can make great cartoons courtesy of Owen Cook.
Best of Best of the Web
This week the web gave us a great typographic piece on the movie poster billing block (i.e. bit at the bottom) from The New York Times, it schooled us in the ways in which owls are the hippest of all creatures over on Sabotage Times and it showed us what happens when you make cartoonists work in an office courtesy of the sadistic chaps at The New Yorker.
Best of the Rest
We enjoyed this very cool interview with A$AP Rocky on Mr Porter (and not just because of his K$sha-esque name), we learned all about Wolff Olins’ new brand identity for Mozilla and we marvelled at this see-through computer. Repeat that, see-through computer!
Tweet of the week
“Florida Man Breaks Chihuahua’s Leg Tipping Disabled Owner Into Traffic.”
Wait,what? Just one of many pearls from the @FloridaMan Twitter feed which collates news stories relating to the sunshine state’s strangest residents, as long as the news stories begin with those magic words…
Balloon burster of the week
This year’s awards season drew to a close with last Sunday’s Oscars and on the whole there was an impressive lack of speeches that made you want to gnaw your own lips off in embarrassment. That said it is still good to remind ourselves of the greatest acceptance speech ever given, from Mr Seinfeld…
Oddly addictive illustrated game of the week
It’s Friday, we’re almost done for the week. Why not wile away the last couple of hours of the day making a greedy illustrated woman scoff apples kicked towards her by a sexy stockinged foot to an accompaniment of frenetic piano? Why not indeed…
Leadership of the week
However mature you are day-to-day, we all get the temptation sometimes to do something to sate our inner eight-year-old. Step forward then headmaster Max Dunning who hid a swear word encoded in a letter to parents about one of his staff retiring. Not surprising he resigned. Not entirely sure it qualifies as “a code” though?
PR stunt of the week
What do you do when the whole of the UK (i.e. the loudest section of our popular press) is having a furious meltdown about naughty food suppliers giving us horse that was meant to be really cheap nasty beef? You hold a horse burger week if you’re this enterprising London pub…
Oh-that-is-soooooooooo-me video of the week
We racked up some BIG scores on this in the studio…
Lads if you’re out tonight and you think you’ve got swagger, you may get kicked to the kerb unless you look like Mick Jagger (one of hers).
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos