If The Weekender was a fruit, it’d be a guava. Mysterious and juicy. If it was a type of rock it’d be igneous. Explosive. If it was a polar landscape feature, it’d be ice. Really cool. But it’s not – it’s a weekly round-up of all that is magnificent about online culture. And all the better for it…
Best of the blog
In the past seven days we were thrilled by this bridge which makes all other bridges seem rubbish, we revelled in how brilliant the English language is thanks to the wonderful Wordnik website, and we were mesmerised by Zimouin’s new work. It’s been emotional.
Best of the rest
This week we envied the bookish residents of Stuttgart due to their jaw-dropping new library, we wished that whoever rules the world makes it compulsory that ALL border checkpoints looked like this and we felt that cycling in London lacks a certain something after watching this gorgeous video on Booooooom!
Tweet of the week
“If you’re reading a boring book, turn all the full stops into exclamation marks.”
Thanks @serafinowicz for brightening up our day with this helpful tip.
Ebay opportunity of the week..
Darling, good news I got you what you always wanted. No, not a Versace handbag. Nope not a Faberge Egg either. A chance to open Tower Bridge..
Scarily could-be-true spoof of the week
Surely it’s only a matter of time before an ad exec somewhere says: “You know Catvertsiing could work…”
In other cat news (there’s a sentence I never thought I’d write) the Prime Minister’s moggy got a much needed vote of confidence, and someone finally saw fit to reward every 100 words you write with some very cute pictures of kittens.
Good news for the unemployed of the week…
Headline of the week (by a mile)
Ahem: “Canadians don’t have to choose between bacon and sex anymore…”
Intrigued? Course you are…
Sports combination of the week
Tennis plus ice skating – enjoy!
See you where the drinks are free and the dubstep’s dirty homeboys and homegirls!
- Allen Jones' Maîtresse, a series of S&M-inspired paintings
- First Dates for those who create: London agency Form on their working relationship
- Air-brushed psychedelia and neon lights abound in Robert Beatty’s new work
- Jack Davison shoots parrots with PTSD for The New York Times Magazine
- Graphic design work to challenge and empower the reader
- "A think tank for a week, and a do-tank for the rest of the year" : Ravi Naidoo on Design Indaba
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- More salaciously surreal illustrations from French duo Mrzyk & Moriceau