If The Weekender was a fruit, it’d be a guava. Mysterious and juicy. If it was a type of rock it’d be igneous. Explosive. If it was a polar landscape feature, it’d be ice. Really cool. But it’s not – it’s a weekly round-up of all that is magnificent about online culture. And all the better for it…
Best of the blog
In the past seven days we were thrilled by this bridge which makes all other bridges seem rubbish, we revelled in how brilliant the English language is thanks to the wonderful Wordnik website, and we were mesmerised by Zimouin’s new work. It’s been emotional.
Best of the rest
This week we envied the bookish residents of Stuttgart due to their jaw-dropping new library, we wished that whoever rules the world makes it compulsory that ALL border checkpoints looked like this and we felt that cycling in London lacks a certain something after watching this gorgeous video on Booooooom!
Tweet of the week
“If you’re reading a boring book, turn all the full stops into exclamation marks.”
Thanks @serafinowicz for brightening up our day with this helpful tip.
Ebay opportunity of the week..
Darling, good news I got you what you always wanted. No, not a Versace handbag. Nope not a Faberge Egg either. A chance to open Tower Bridge..
Scarily could-be-true spoof of the week
Surely it’s only a matter of time before an ad exec somewhere says: “You know Catvertsiing could work…”
In other cat news (there’s a sentence I never thought I’d write) the Prime Minister’s moggy got a much needed vote of confidence, and someone finally saw fit to reward every 100 words you write with some very cute pictures of kittens.
Good news for the unemployed of the week…
Headline of the week (by a mile)
Ahem: “Canadians don’t have to choose between bacon and sex anymore…”
Intrigued? Course you are…
Sports combination of the week
Tennis plus ice skating – enjoy!
See you where the drinks are free and the dubstep’s dirty homeboys and homegirls!
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Clément Le Tulle-Neyret's considered approach to Strange Designs
- Manita Songserm disregards the rules to create unruly and intriguing work
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?