This week Things celebrates street press comics makers, procrastinates with some excellent illustration, enjoys a squat book of briefs, cops a load of British style and looks at wishful wheat-pasting around the streets of Edinburgh.
Limner Journal: #2
Despite being stuffed full of excellent illustration, Limner journal wants to be seen as more than just a showcase. Good then that it’s also got some interesting words in it exploring contemporary practice – and procrastination.
Tilt Studio: Wish I Was In
This “wheat-paste adventure” around night-time streets by Edinbrugh-based student studio Tilt is pretty charming. A nicely shot, nicely put together little book. Wish I was in Stars Wars, too.
Off Life: Issue #3
Off Life bills itself as the UK’s only street press comic magazine. They may say these are comics for a lost generation, but they’ve found a strong generation of talented cartoonists right here. There’s a huge variety of quality comics and an interview with Bryan Talbot. Here’s to many issues more.
Hat-trick: In brief.
Design consultants Hat-trick have produced this little black book to show off ten years of completed briefs. Small but perfectly formed, it fits in your palm and falls open to reveal a rainbow of work for over 150 clients. In defiance of industry jargon, they’ve let pictures do the talking, with only a couple of words to introduce each project.
Josh Sims: 50 Years of British Style Culture
Designed by Bianca Wendt and written by Josh Sims, this Ben Sherman book celebrates 50 years of British cultural style through the fashion, music and politics of these big ones: Mods, Rockers, Teddy boys, Northern Soul, Punk, Skinheads, Two Tone and, of course, Casual.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”