This week Things celebrates street press comics makers, procrastinates with some excellent illustration, enjoys a squat book of briefs, cops a load of British style and looks at wishful wheat-pasting around the streets of Edinburgh.
Limner Journal: #2
Despite being stuffed full of excellent illustration, Limner journal wants to be seen as more than just a showcase. Good then that it’s also got some interesting words in it exploring contemporary practice – and procrastination.
Tilt Studio: Wish I Was In
This “wheat-paste adventure” around night-time streets by Edinbrugh-based student studio Tilt is pretty charming. A nicely shot, nicely put together little book. Wish I was in Stars Wars, too.
Off Life: Issue #3
Off Life bills itself as the UK’s only street press comic magazine. They may say these are comics for a lost generation, but they’ve found a strong generation of talented cartoonists right here. There’s a huge variety of quality comics and an interview with Bryan Talbot. Here’s to many issues more.
Hat-trick: In brief.
Design consultants Hat-trick have produced this little black book to show off ten years of completed briefs. Small but perfectly formed, it fits in your palm and falls open to reveal a rainbow of work for over 150 clients. In defiance of industry jargon, they’ve let pictures do the talking, with only a couple of words to introduce each project.
Josh Sims: 50 Years of British Style Culture
Designed by Bianca Wendt and written by Josh Sims, this Ben Sherman book celebrates 50 years of British cultural style through the fashion, music and politics of these big ones: Mods, Rockers, Teddy boys, Northern Soul, Punk, Skinheads, Two Tone and, of course, Casual.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant