The last five days have brought us a lovely collection of things, with hints of rock and roll, cardboard boxes and punctuation. It’s going to be a tasty one.
Mono.Kultur #33: Spring 2013
While we’re shivering in the It’s Nice That studio, Mono.Kultur have had the brilliant idea of skipping winter all together and going straight to their Spring 2013 edition. It centres around Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon, featuring art work from the musician and an insight into the world of rock and roll.
Viviane Schwarz & Flying Eye Books: Welcome To Your Awesome Robot
If you’ve ever wanted to make a robot out of a cardboard box then look no further. With step-by-step instructions, it shows you how to give your robot features, internal storage, and the best part, you get a certificate at the end. Who says this is just for children?
Flamingo: The Future Craft Issue
Celebrating the art of craftsmanship, this magazine is a visual delight. Great features including how to brew the perfect beer and how to get green fingered. Another ingenious feature is Workstations – where illustrators like Timothy Hunt show us their creative space through their image-making.
Christian Morgenstern: In The Land Of Punctuation
First published in 1905 by German poet Christian Morgenstern, this picture book is a unique combination of typography, language and politics. The simple yet brilliant illustrations of Rathna Ramanathan bring the poem to life. If I lived in the land of punctuation, I would also hate semi-colons.
Full Drop Co. package
Our friends at Full Drop Co. have sent us a bundle of truly wonderful things. Including a calendar and Shape & Staple – a booklet of spot, stripe, floral and geometric designs. These guys are seriously talented and envision a "pattern infused world. : Please can I live in your world?
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant