The last five days have brought us a lovely collection of things, with hints of rock and roll, cardboard boxes and punctuation. It’s going to be a tasty one.
Mono.Kultur #33: Spring 2013
While we’re shivering in the It’s Nice That studio, Mono.Kultur have had the brilliant idea of skipping winter all together and going straight to their Spring 2013 edition. It centres around Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon, featuring art work from the musician and an insight into the world of rock and roll.
Viviane Schwarz & Flying Eye Books: Welcome To Your Awesome Robot
If you’ve ever wanted to make a robot out of a cardboard box then look no further. With step-by-step instructions, it shows you how to give your robot features, internal storage, and the best part, you get a certificate at the end. Who says this is just for children?
Flamingo: The Future Craft Issue
Celebrating the art of craftsmanship, this magazine is a visual delight. Great features including how to brew the perfect beer and how to get green fingered. Another ingenious feature is Workstations – where illustrators like Timothy Hunt show us their creative space through their image-making.
Christian Morgenstern: In The Land Of Punctuation
First published in 1905 by German poet Christian Morgenstern, this picture book is a unique combination of typography, language and politics. The simple yet brilliant illustrations of Rathna Ramanathan bring the poem to life. If I lived in the land of punctuation, I would also hate semi-colons.
Full Drop Co. package
Our friends at Full Drop Co. have sent us a bundle of truly wonderful things. Including a calendar and Shape & Staple – a booklet of spot, stripe, floral and geometric designs. These guys are seriously talented and envision a "pattern infused world. : Please can I live in your world?
- Wrap up warm with this week's Best of the Web
- This is Jane: a charming photo series that displays the empowerment of women
- Brooklyn-based illustrator Aaron Fernandez’s fluorescent editorial commissions
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Join Jonathan Barnbrook, Maisie Willoughby, Wallace Henning, Anna Lomax and Jess Bonham at Nicer Tuesdays December
- Legs 11: artist Alfie Kungu’s comically long-trousered figures
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich