The last five days have brought us a lovely collection of things, with hints of rock and roll, cardboard boxes and punctuation. It’s going to be a tasty one.
Mono.Kultur #33: Spring 2013
While we’re shivering in the It’s Nice That studio, Mono.Kultur have had the brilliant idea of skipping winter all together and going straight to their Spring 2013 edition. It centres around Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon, featuring art work from the musician and an insight into the world of rock and roll.
Viviane Schwarz & Flying Eye Books: Welcome To Your Awesome Robot
If you’ve ever wanted to make a robot out of a cardboard box then look no further. With step-by-step instructions, it shows you how to give your robot features, internal storage, and the best part, you get a certificate at the end. Who says this is just for children?
Flamingo: The Future Craft Issue
Celebrating the art of craftsmanship, this magazine is a visual delight. Great features including how to brew the perfect beer and how to get green fingered. Another ingenious feature is Workstations – where illustrators like Timothy Hunt show us their creative space through their image-making.
Christian Morgenstern: In The Land Of Punctuation
First published in 1905 by German poet Christian Morgenstern, this picture book is a unique combination of typography, language and politics. The simple yet brilliant illustrations of Rathna Ramanathan bring the poem to life. If I lived in the land of punctuation, I would also hate semi-colons.
Full Drop Co. package
Our friends at Full Drop Co. have sent us a bundle of truly wonderful things. Including a calendar and Shape & Staple – a booklet of spot, stripe, floral and geometric designs. These guys are seriously talented and envision a "pattern infused world. : Please can I live in your world?
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting