Kids today eh? What with their snazzy trainers (or “kicks”), their effortless insouciance and their video games. They don’t remember how it used to be, we couldn’t just fire up FIFA when we wanted a football fix in our own homes. Back in the day it was all about Subbuteo which involved flicking little figurines around a massive pitch-table. It was harder, sure, but it was more authentic. But those days are long gone…or are they?
A new book from photographer Tom Groves designed by Thomas Coombes and Thomas Austin, captures the enduring appeal of this anachronistic game across Europe. In the Box: Subbuteo – Alive & Flicking reveals that: “For a small but significant group of Subbuteo fanatics, the beautiful game never died out. In the Box documents a serious sporting world that few realise is still out there and yet it exists with the same sincerity and fervour as any other sport.”
Not only do Tom’s photographs capture the highs and lows of competitive Subbuteo with real flair and respect, the design treatment by Thomas + Thomas promises to elevate this into a thing of real beauty. But here’s the thing – at the moment this is a Kickstarter dream – fingers crossed it becomes a reality.
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant