Kids today eh? What with their snazzy trainers (or “kicks”), their effortless insouciance and their video games. They don’t remember how it used to be, we couldn’t just fire up FIFA when we wanted a football fix in our own homes. Back in the day it was all about Subbuteo which involved flicking little figurines around a massive pitch-table. It was harder, sure, but it was more authentic. But those days are long gone…or are they?
A new book from photographer Tom Groves designed by Thomas Coombes and Thomas Austin, captures the enduring appeal of this anachronistic game across Europe. In the Box: Subbuteo – Alive & Flicking reveals that: “For a small but significant group of Subbuteo fanatics, the beautiful game never died out. In the Box documents a serious sporting world that few realise is still out there and yet it exists with the same sincerity and fervour as any other sport.”
Not only do Tom’s photographs capture the highs and lows of competitive Subbuteo with real flair and respect, the design treatment by Thomas + Thomas promises to elevate this into a thing of real beauty. But here’s the thing – at the moment this is a Kickstarter dream – fingers crossed it becomes a reality.
- Camelot’s typefaces bring both the contemporary and historical to the table
- Scott Newett’s eerily quiet, ethereal portraits of Chinese utopia
- Jade Schulz’s atmospheric and imaginative editorial illustrations
- Emiliano Granado’s new zine puts a fresh spin on Tour de France fandom
- The big cover up: Mathieu Tremblin's translations of graffiti
- Artist Howard Fonda captures the vibrancy of summer for Ace & Tate
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale