It’s only been a few short months since we featured Sophy Hollington as our Student of the Month, but in that time she’s been exceptionally busy. Having only just graduated from Camberwell College of Art you’d expect her to still be finding her feet in the commercial world, but she’s already taking big strides, recently completing a dream commission for the New York Times. We stopped by to see how things were going.
The New York Times is a great client for any illustrator to work with, how did the commission come about?
I just got an email out of the blue! Woke up with it in my inbox and pretty much wept with joy.
What was the turnaround?
Quite quick. I had about two to three days to cut and print after doing a couple of roughs. Apparently they usually only give you about two days so I was pretty lucky! I think the art director took in to account that lino is a bit of a labour-intensive process and it had to be big too; 11.55 × 19 inches (don’t get me started on the imperial system…)
How did they find you?
She found me through It’s Nice That and saved my link in case something appropriate came up. Apparently she’d been looking for an excuse to use me for something.
What else is in the pipeline?
Right now I’m working on a piece for the new NoBrow publication themed around doppelgängers. I’m super excited about it: NoBrow can’t seem to do anything wrong and the spot colours they chose for this one are really tasty.
When will you be relocating to New York?
As soon as I save up enough dubloons to get me on the Queen Mary.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU