The tenth Art Basel Miami Beach opens tomorrow with an impossibly exciting line-up of art-related visuals, talk, music and parties. Alongside the international pool of galleries pitching fort on the beach, what appears to be a near complete contemporary art contingent of curators, artists, collectors, enthusiasts and critics will also be descending on Miami. It looks very, very special with old and new exhibiting ground being broken by epic-sized screenings, conversations between art world monoliths and the best in new exhibited art.
Next to Art Nova, 42 galleries that were selected to present the work of 105 artists, are the innumerable installations and events that will transform the Miami art landscape. The Bass Musuem of Art – who are hosting an exhibition of the brilliant Erwin Wurm – have transformed the neighbouring Collins Park with Art Public. A free celebration in sculpture and performance including Anthony Gormley, Bruce Conner, Anish Kapoor and Eva Rothschild.
An awesome roll of artist films will be screened in the SoundScape Park for the Art Video Nights – projected ridiculously large onto the wall of the New World Centre. The program is all set to feature Ryan McGinley, Christain “Casting Jesus” Jankowski and Cory Arcangel plus many, many others.
Finally, the Art Basel Conversations have been running this past decade, the premise being to offer insight to an audience of the “dynamic dialogues” between leading members of the international artworld, and this year name-checks Gabriel Orozco, Tracey Emin, Erwin Wurm, Beatrix Ruf and Hans Ulrich Obrist. Topics covered will be as spectacularly broad as they will be debated – evolution of museums, artistic practice and regionalism for example – along with a number of Art Salons featuring a similarly high-brow mix-bag of panellists.
We’ll be keeping a close eye on the lovely stuff that is bound to emerge from one of the most anticipated art events this year and feeding it onto the site in the coming days…
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant