Beck’s latest music video is a collage of clips sourced from various visual artists on Instagram. The video for single Wow, directed by the musician himself together with Grady Hall, brings together short videos by exciting creatives such as Sam Cannon, Randy Cano, Andy Gregg, David McLeod, John McLaughlin and Steve Smith.
The video combines footage of Beck performing on a busy motorway, spliced with random clips such as Sam Cannon’s eerie film of an eyeball blinking inside a rose, Randy Cano’s melting thumbs-up hand, David McLeod’s globular digital forms and John McLaughlin’s big-eyed furry characters. Cowboys, headbangers and a young dance troupe also feature in Grady and Beck’s part of the video.
On Andy Gregg’s Instagram, the artist explains he was asked by Beck’s production team to contribute some of his artwork to the video, for which the concept was “a music video art gallery”. All contributing artists are credited and linked to on the video.
I'm excited to have some work in the new video "Wow" by the one and only
beck! Watch the video here http://smarturl.it/WOWvid #beckWow</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by David McLeod (david_mcleod) on
Got to have some of my animations featured in the new music video "Wow" by
beck! Check it out here: http://smarturl.it/WOWvid</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by Randy Cano (randy.cano) on
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Friday Mixtape: Grammy award-winning Tinariwen curates a genre-crossing mix
- Designer Kara Zichittella talks about her typographically-led projects
- “Where’s my community?”: Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label