Beck’s latest music video is a collage of clips sourced from various visual artists on Instagram. The video for single Wow, directed by the musician himself together with Grady Hall, brings together short videos by exciting creatives such as Sam Cannon, Randy Cano, Andy Gregg, David McLeod, John McLaughlin and Steve Smith.
The video combines footage of Beck performing on a busy motorway, spliced with random clips such as Sam Cannon’s eerie film of an eyeball blinking inside a rose, Randy Cano’s melting thumbs-up hand, David McLeod’s globular digital forms and John McLaughlin’s big-eyed furry characters. Cowboys, headbangers and a young dance troupe also feature in Grady and Beck’s part of the video.
On Andy Gregg’s Instagram, the artist explains he was asked by Beck’s production team to contribute some of his artwork to the video, for which the concept was “a music video art gallery”. All contributing artists are credited and linked to on the video.
I'm excited to have some work in the new video "Wow" by the one and only
beck! Watch the video here http://smarturl.it/WOWvid #beckWow</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by David McLeod (david_mcleod) on
Got to have some of my animations featured in the new music video "Wow" by
beck! Check it out here: http://smarturl.it/WOWvid</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by Randy Cano (randy.cano) on
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design