Beck’s latest music video is a collage of clips sourced from various visual artists on Instagram. The video for single Wow, directed by the musician himself together with Grady Hall, brings together short videos by exciting creatives such as Sam Cannon, Randy Cano, Andy Gregg, David McLeod, John McLaughlin and Steve Smith.
The video combines footage of Beck performing on a busy motorway, spliced with random clips such as Sam Cannon’s eerie film of an eyeball blinking inside a rose, Randy Cano’s melting thumbs-up hand, David McLeod’s globular digital forms and John McLaughlin’s big-eyed furry characters. Cowboys, headbangers and a young dance troupe also feature in Grady and Beck’s part of the video.
On Andy Gregg’s Instagram, the artist explains he was asked by Beck’s production team to contribute some of his artwork to the video, for which the concept was “a music video art gallery”. All contributing artists are credited and linked to on the video.
I'm excited to have some work in the new video "Wow" by the one and only
beck! Watch the video here http://smarturl.it/WOWvid #beckWow</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by David McLeod (david_mcleod) on
Got to have some of my animations featured in the new music video "Wow" by
beck! Check it out here: http://smarturl.it/WOWvid</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by Randy Cano (randy.cano) on
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again