The Mystery Tubes project is raising funds to replace the roof of Manchester’s creative hub the Islington Mill. The initiative by Engine House offers the opportunity for you to purchase six artworks for £25, receiving work worth over £100.
A hand-cranked machine will dispense a tube containing six items by artists including Peter Sutherland, Louis Reith, Anthony Burrill, Mark Jermyn, Nous Vous, Thurston Moore & Eva Prinz, Palefroi, John Powell-Jones, Tim Isherwood, Studio DBD, Melvin Galapon, Craig Oldham, Mike Perry, Malcolm Garrett, Alex T. Frazer, Greg Quinton, Callum Higgins, Lulu Hankin, Iro Design, David Bailey, Amrit Randhawa, VTS Design, Made by Memo, Stina Puotinen, Nejc Prah, Ben Jones, Sarah Randles, Joe Whitmore, Sally Gilford and more.
“You might get an original hand-illustrated piece, or an early screenprinted edition,” say the organisers. “It may be letterpressed, screenprinted, hand-drawn or Risographed. The pieces vary between A6 (postcard) and A2 (poster) in size. Through purchasing a tube you are directly supporting these independent, local creative businesses and a place that warmly and generously supports them, in all their many shapes and forms.”
“The planned renovations will utterly transform the currently near-derelict fifth floor and attic space at Islington Mill to create brand new Artist and Maker Residence Spaces that will be the first of their kind in the north west. They will offer year-round accommodation and workspace for artists from all over the world, as well as new large-scale work and exhibition spaces, and new external elevators and building entrances, making the renovated building fully accessible to all.”
Mystery Tubes will be available to buy online or at our vending machine in Fred Aldous art shop, Manchester in April and other arts venues around the city over the coming months.
- Like a milder version of Marmite, it’s Best of the Web!
- Meet graphic designer Tor Weibull and his tubular metal typography
- Glasgow watch company Paulin launch new Art Deco-inspired typeface
- Samuel Douek on his pop-up queer art space CAMPerVAN at Tate Modern
- Agnese Morganti celebrates the sparkle and community of Italy’s majorettes
- Friday Mixtape: Visions Festival make us a mix of eclectic acts from its line up
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Colette, the trailblazer: creatives pay tribute to the iconic Parisian store and its legacy
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels