Director MJ Delaney has remade the Spice Girls’ Wannabe video in a campaign for women’s rights. The video, created for Project Everyone’s The Global Goals initiative, stars international musicians such as Gigi Lamayne and Seyi Shay reinventing the band’s famous 1996 video. Choreography is interspersed with typographic calls to action on tapestries, chalkboards and murals, with statements like “end violence against girls,” “quality education for all girls,” “end child marriage,” and “equal pay for equal work.”
In an interview on Moxie Pictures’ website, MJ explains how she wanted to keep the spirit of the original video so Spice Girls fans would be able to recognise it, without it being an exact remake.
“I wanted it to be a bit more aggressive and demanding, and a bit less cutesy,” MJ says. “I wanted to feel the power of these women, and their performance to be one of, we’ve had enough and this is what we want now.”
The campaign asks viewers to share a picture using the hashtag #WhatIReallyReallyWant to be passed on to world leaders at the UN General Assembly in September.
“I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the little girls that grew up with girl power are now the women who are bringing feminism back into the fore,” she continues. “When we became adults and saw the huge inequalities that still exist across the world, I think the spirit of girl power ignited a fire to change it.”
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s