Has it been a year already? This time in 2009 I was waxing-lyrical about a brilliant year at It’s Nice That towers, and I’m trying desperately not to do the same. Although I wouldn’t be short of superlatives, for once it wasn’t what defined my year and 2010 was all the better for it, despite great strides at INT.
My image of the year: “Nothing sums the year up more perfectly than one of many specially-commissioned sculptures built for me with things found lying around my room.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
10, full marks. Best yet.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Well, any hopes of seeing England win the World Cup in my lifetime, and everyone’s favourite constant-malfunctioner: the internet. As for fixing it, an Italian is making a hash of making amends for the first bit, and as for the second, Jimmy bought us a new filter.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
Lost. Finally. Oh and Mr Powers’ love letters
What was your favourite day of the year?
I’ve never quite understood how embarrassingly special Paris could be with the right person.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Have you ever had your toenail removed by a laughing man?
Best Google image search of 2010?
Funny Cats, of course. Can you type other things in?
Best man/woman of the year?
This is a bit of a cheat, but the humblingly talented and dedicated new studio members that have made It’s Nice That such a joy to be part of this year.
Your finest moment?
Scoring at the Stretford End
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
I didn’t buy her, but Sophie better come along.
What would you like to say to 2010?
I should be able to think of something witty here, but I can’t so I’ll just be polite and say “thanks very much.”
- Submit Saturdays: Take advantage of your website to show varied work as a creative collective
- Parisian upstarts Ill-Studio give L’Officiel magazine new life
- Knock knock. Who's there? It's Best of the Web!
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design
- Alan Fears’ papier mâché heads are a humorous portrait of ourselves
- The quiet humour of illustrator Elena Xausa
- Reasons Not To Do Graphic Design by Yotam Hadar
- Nostalgia in branding: top design studios analyse the NatWest and Co-op retrobrands
- Google and Monotype launch Noto, an open-source typeface family for all the world’s languages
- The only way is ethics: what are the moral obligations of a graphic designer?
- Rachel Levit illustrates contemporary relationships in new book
- Creative agency INT Works relaunches as Anyways, with a playful graphic identity