Has it been a year already? This time in 2009 I was waxing-lyrical about a brilliant year at It’s Nice That towers, and I’m trying desperately not to do the same. Although I wouldn’t be short of superlatives, for once it wasn’t what defined my year and 2010 was all the better for it, despite great strides at INT.
My image of the year: “Nothing sums the year up more perfectly than one of many specially-commissioned sculptures built for me with things found lying around my room.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
10, full marks. Best yet.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Well, any hopes of seeing England win the World Cup in my lifetime, and everyone’s favourite constant-malfunctioner: the internet. As for fixing it, an Italian is making a hash of making amends for the first bit, and as for the second, Jimmy bought us a new filter.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
Lost. Finally. Oh and Mr Powers’ love letters
What was your favourite day of the year?
I’ve never quite understood how embarrassingly special Paris could be with the right person.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Have you ever had your toenail removed by a laughing man?
Best Google image search of 2010?
Funny Cats, of course. Can you type other things in?
Best man/woman of the year?
This is a bit of a cheat, but the humblingly talented and dedicated new studio members that have made It’s Nice That such a joy to be part of this year.
Your finest moment?
Scoring at the Stretford End
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
I didn’t buy her, but Sophie better come along.
What would you like to say to 2010?
I should be able to think of something witty here, but I can’t so I’ll just be polite and say “thanks very much.”
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU