The first project we’re going to feature is one we’re really very excited about. The work of both Marion Deuchars and Margaret Calvert undeniably speaks for itself and together they’ve completed a very special project indeed, based on one of Margaret’s classic roadsign designs. Here’s a snippet of their interview from the catalogue.
Hello Marion and Margaret, can you tell us what you’ve produced for the show?
MC. A work of art in nine sections, allowing for numerous variations, as a final piece, and easy to handle. Celebrating, by coincidence, the 50th Anniversary of the completion of the M1.
What were the biggest challenges you faced?
MD. The biggest challenge was to appreciate how different our thought processes were! Margaret works from an idea and then plays, whereas I play then work through an idea.
MC. Working together as one… A bit like a three-legged race.
What’s your favourite collaboration of all time?
MD. Ben & Winifred Nicholson. MC. Difficult to say. But in the context of art, it would be Gilbert and George. Simply because I can remember, as a student, how inspired I was with their piece of performance art, Underneath the Arches.
To see the complete If You Could Collaborate feature, click here
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery