The first project we’re going to feature is one we’re really very excited about. The work of both Marion Deuchars and Margaret Calvert undeniably speaks for itself and together they’ve completed a very special project indeed, based on one of Margaret’s classic roadsign designs. Here’s a snippet of their interview from the catalogue.
Hello Marion and Margaret, can you tell us what you’ve produced for the show?
MC. A work of art in nine sections, allowing for numerous variations, as a final piece, and easy to handle. Celebrating, by coincidence, the 50th Anniversary of the completion of the M1.
What were the biggest challenges you faced?
MD. The biggest challenge was to appreciate how different our thought processes were! Margaret works from an idea and then plays, whereas I play then work through an idea.
MC. Working together as one… A bit like a three-legged race.
What’s your favourite collaboration of all time?
MD. Ben & Winifred Nicholson. MC. Difficult to say. But in the context of art, it would be Gilbert and George. Simply because I can remember, as a student, how inspired I was with their piece of performance art, Underneath the Arches.
To see the complete If You Could Collaborate feature, click here
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant