The first project we’re going to feature is one we’re really very excited about. The work of both Marion Deuchars and Margaret Calvert undeniably speaks for itself and together they’ve completed a very special project indeed, based on one of Margaret’s classic roadsign designs. Here’s a snippet of their interview from the catalogue.
Hello Marion and Margaret, can you tell us what you’ve produced for the show?
MC. A work of art in nine sections, allowing for numerous variations, as a final piece, and easy to handle. Celebrating, by coincidence, the 50th Anniversary of the completion of the M1.
What were the biggest challenges you faced?
MD. The biggest challenge was to appreciate how different our thought processes were! Margaret works from an idea and then plays, whereas I play then work through an idea.
MC. Working together as one… A bit like a three-legged race.
What’s your favourite collaboration of all time?
MD. Ben & Winifred Nicholson. MC. Difficult to say. But in the context of art, it would be Gilbert and George. Simply because I can remember, as a student, how inspired I was with their piece of performance art, Underneath the Arches.
To see the complete If You Could Collaborate feature, click here
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting