The first project we’re going to feature is one we’re really very excited about. The work of both Marion Deuchars and Margaret Calvert undeniably speaks for itself and together they’ve completed a very special project indeed, based on one of Margaret’s classic roadsign designs. Here’s a snippet of their interview from the catalogue.
Hello Marion and Margaret, can you tell us what you’ve produced for the show?
MC. A work of art in nine sections, allowing for numerous variations, as a final piece, and easy to handle. Celebrating, by coincidence, the 50th Anniversary of the completion of the M1.
What were the biggest challenges you faced?
MD. The biggest challenge was to appreciate how different our thought processes were! Margaret works from an idea and then plays, whereas I play then work through an idea.
MC. Working together as one… A bit like a three-legged race.
What’s your favourite collaboration of all time?
MD. Ben & Winifred Nicholson. MC. Difficult to say. But in the context of art, it would be Gilbert and George. Simply because I can remember, as a student, how inspired I was with their piece of performance art, Underneath the Arches.
To see the complete If You Could Collaborate feature, click here
- Victoria Vincent’s animation captures the tragic pitfalls of online dating
- Adam Birkan captures the diverse and juxtaposing landscape of Hanoi
- Submit Saturdays: So you’ve built your website, what’s next?
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Best of the web: a whole host of internet goodies
- Mould Map's latest issue is brought to life as an exhibition
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- London Design Festival: where to go and what to see
- Caitlyn Murphy's paintings elevate the charm of everyday life
- Sean Lotman’s serenely psychedelic photographs of Japan