I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Tomáš Kral’s nostalgic 3D short slapstick dragon slaying animation series
- Russia-based Max Litvinov's experimental animations are a delight
- More weird and wonderful work from Wonder Room
- Bruch creates a simple and type-based identity for Quer
- Intimacy, underwear and internet pop-ups in VLF Studio's slick redesign of Under the Influence
- A personal portrait of street life in Casablanca from photographer Yoriyas
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- More bonkers and surreal selfies from Izumi Miyazaki
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web