I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Envisions collective, breaking down the boundaries of design
- Zsofia Schweger’s paintings depict her Hungarian home frozen in time
- Illustrator Nuno Maria’s fresh aesthetic and smooth shapes rework ordinary objects
- A cookbook inspired by Brad Pitt's on-screen eating habits
- Uganda’s boisterous nightlife as captured by photographer Michele Sibiloni
- Vanguards magazine explores Scotland's undiscovered creative treasure
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August