I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Curator Shonagh Marshall takes us through the highlights from Hair by Sam McKnight
- Yeji Yun’s imaginative zine combines frozen lands, whales and cocktails
- Zhang Kechun encapsulates the oblivion of China's mysterious Yellow River
- Artist Anna Valdez brings her eye for detail to digital painting
- Bold in its broadness, the work of Dave Singley
- Córdova Canillas seek inspiration between nostalgia and obsolescence for C de C annual
- Reasons Not To Do Graphic Design by Yotam Hadar
- Nostalgia in branding: top design studios analyse the NatWest and Co-op retrobrands
- Google and Monotype launch Noto, an open-source typeface family for all the world’s languages
- The only way is ethics: what are the moral obligations of a graphic designer?
- Rachel Levit illustrates contemporary relationships in new book
- Creative agency INT Works relaunches as Anyways, with a playful graphic identity