I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Soshiki Hakase directs super cute music video that brings household objects to life
- Hardcore bands, basketball and You Tube experiments – introducing designer and illustrator Sam Bailey
- Is colour subjective? Disegno tests Johannes Itten's colour theory
- The Book of Everyone: customisation isn’t simply slapping a name on a mug
- Photographer Mark Hartman on travelling to Coney Island every day to make his Island series
- Illustrator Lizzy Stewart shares some gems from her bookshelf
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again