I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Yayoi Kusama brings infinity and her iconic pumpkins to two stunning new London shows
- How I Got Here: Kim Gehrig, director
- Founder and creative director of ManvsMachine, Mike Alderson on his most-loved books
- From big cats to commuters, Reece Wykes creates characters using the subtlest of details
- Back to the Future: what today's creatives can learn from yesterday's design principles
- Moniker’s crisp and colourful laser cut posters for Designer Fund
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)