I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Making propaganda about propaganda: Metahaven’s new film considers fantasy and truth in internet culture
- The world’s largest Renoir collection is made accessible to all by filmmaker Phil Grabsky
- Ryan Peltier plays with scale in his neatly constructed space-themed illustrations
- First Dates for those who create: Jessica Walsh and Timothy Goodman talk dating and working (and both)
- Vogue celebrates 100 years of style at the National Portrait Gallery
- Superb designs by London studio Julia for the Whitechapel Gallery
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016