I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Sam Pilling, Hattie Newman, Phil Sharp and Kit Caless at Nicer Tuesdays September
- Stephanie Unger’s instinctive illustrations use bright colours and simple shapes
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Nobrow co-founder Sam Arthur shares his favourite books
- Photographer Laura Pannack finds inspiration in a Romanian folk tale
- Ho Tam, the one-man-band publisher
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf