We all know that the happiest place on earth is supposed to be Disneyland. Who knows whether this can actually be measured but it’s definitely a place where an obscene amount of money is spent, tempers are shredded and adults wander around in garish costumes, damp from the drool of children’s sugar and schmaltz comas. What’s distressing about these kinds of ‘utopias’ is that replicas have been attempted. An example of this is captured in Catherine Hyland’s photographic series of the the abandoned theme park, Wonderland in China that remains half finished and deserted.
First started in 1998 with the intention of creating the biggest theme park in Asia set to cover 120 acres, building stopped when agreements over land ownerships could not be met and funding was cut. The half-built structures across vacant cornfields serve as a reminder of what could’ve been, creating this ghostly, fairy-tale world. Catherine’s images which can be seen at new gallery Flat C later this month, are so brilliantly jarring with the artificial turrets and towers against the dusty, concreted reality of where it actually is.
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)