A group of students from the The Animation Workshop of VIA University College in Denmark have created this brilliantly grotesque animation that takes place in a doctor’s waiting room. Titled Cream, the short is a graduation film from director Lena Ólafsdóttir and animators Stina Willadsen, Kristian Olesen, Jonas Scott Di Hu and Marie Erkisen
Each element of the film has been made by hand, with puppets and clay being used to create the stop motion animation. The film starts in a doctor’s waiting room where “soothing music and the opportunity to enjoy an ice cream brings about an alleviating atmosphere”. The group describe the film as revealing the “cold and ugly sides of human nature” as the story meanders through birth, death and the “absurdity of life”. At times it’s an uncomfortable watch, with gruesome characters behaving in vile ways, yet it’s executed so well it’s hard to stop watching.
The story mainly takes place from an ariel perspective aping that of a CCTV camera, and the film mixes up its pace by interspersing closer crops, such as the guy licking ice cream or the old woman pulling on the other woman’s hair. It’s here we see the costumes created by Mary-Ann Hansen and the finer details of the clay figures, revealing the time spent and the impressive skill of these graduating students.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos