Gherkins, like politics and skinny jeans, tend to split opinion. Depending on which side of the delicious/disgusting divide you inhabit will determine your reaction to Cranchion by Joseph Gallix which is part of renowned Lausanne art/design school ECAL’s Milan showcase. Combining “the plebeian product and the vanity represented by the skull” Joseph has produced something undeiniably eye-catching.
Elsewhere Too Cool for School boasts ECAL’s most eclectic Milan line-up to date. Brynjar Sigurarson has created a series of objects from the hunting cabin of a fictional forest-dwelling character, Olga Cafiero’s bizarre horse picture is inspired by cabinets of curiosities, Namsa Leuba’s photos look at "the construction and deconstruction of the body, ideas of ceremony and ritual and the relationship between the sacred and the profane” and, more specifically, “Guinean cosmology” while Cyrille Verdon’s moldable rubber vases are pretty and playful.
One to look out for if your Italy-bound next week.
- Graphic designer Cecilia Serafini uses typography with vibrant panache
- London-based Osheyi Adebayo references his childhood in his retro graphic design
- Tristan Pigott paints “real contemporaries” in upcoming solo exhibition, Juicy Bits
- “The great thing about this book is you don’t have to read it”: sculptor Wilfrid Wood on his favourite books
- The return of the hovering art director: Nejc Prah visualises a day in the life of four art directors
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris