They say that two’s company but three’s a crowd; not so apparently when launching a much-anticipated album and the creative collateral around it. The Glass Animals album Zaba was released last week, with the visuals overseen by our pals over at Boat Studio (the same gang who do the city-hopping magazine of the same name).
Creative director Davey Spens commissioned longtime It’s Nice That favourite Micah Lidberg for the illustrations, while She Was Only built the accompanying website and not surprisingly this talented triumvirate have done a belting job.
The album takes its name from William Steig’s children’s book The Zabajaba Jungle, which Davey describes as “ a beguiling story that lives somewhere between the strange and familiar, with its young lead slashing through creeper vines with his bolo knife and going where no human being has ever penetrated. That’s not just probably the best reference for the sound of the record, but a measure of the band’s talent and ambition!”
Micah used washes of watercolour on the artwork to stunning effect while the gold foiled lettering was hand-drawn by the band’s frontman Dave Bayley himself.
So take that cliched saying, good things really do come in threes! Oh.
- Jeremy Jansen’s graphic design work bridges concept and coherency
- Michael Craig-Martin: a cool, clean and colourful riot of everyday objects
- Anatoly Grashchenko's randomly generated posters for a Moscow theatre
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Bobby Doherty’s vivid and humorous still-life photography
- Dezeen founder and editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs talks us through his bookshelf
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs