They say that two’s company but three’s a crowd; not so apparently when launching a much-anticipated album and the creative collateral around it. The Glass Animals album Zaba was released last week, with the visuals overseen by our pals over at Boat Studio (the same gang who do the city-hopping magazine of the same name).
Creative director Davey Spens commissioned longtime It’s Nice That favourite Micah Lidberg for the illustrations, while She Was Only built the accompanying website and not surprisingly this talented triumvirate have done a belting job.
The album takes its name from William Steig’s children’s book The Zabajaba Jungle, which Davey describes as “ a beguiling story that lives somewhere between the strange and familiar, with its young lead slashing through creeper vines with his bolo knife and going where no human being has ever penetrated. That’s not just probably the best reference for the sound of the record, but a measure of the band’s talent and ambition!”
Micah used washes of watercolour on the artwork to stunning effect while the gold foiled lettering was hand-drawn by the band’s frontman Dave Bayley himself.
So take that cliched saying, good things really do come in threes! Oh.
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery