They say that two’s company but three’s a crowd; not so apparently when launching a much-anticipated album and the creative collateral around it. The Glass Animals album Zaba was released last week, with the visuals overseen by our pals over at Boat Studio (the same gang who do the city-hopping magazine of the same name).
Creative director Davey Spens commissioned longtime It’s Nice That favourite Micah Lidberg for the illustrations, while She Was Only built the accompanying website and not surprisingly this talented triumvirate have done a belting job.
The album takes its name from William Steig’s children’s book The Zabajaba Jungle, which Davey describes as “ a beguiling story that lives somewhere between the strange and familiar, with its young lead slashing through creeper vines with his bolo knife and going where no human being has ever penetrated. That’s not just probably the best reference for the sound of the record, but a measure of the band’s talent and ambition!”
Micah used washes of watercolour on the artwork to stunning effect while the gold foiled lettering was hand-drawn by the band’s frontman Dave Bayley himself.
So take that cliched saying, good things really do come in threes! Oh.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages