They say that two’s company but three’s a crowd; not so apparently when launching a much-anticipated album and the creative collateral around it. The Glass Animals album Zaba was released last week, with the visuals overseen by our pals over at Boat Studio (the same gang who do the city-hopping magazine of the same name).
Creative director Davey Spens commissioned longtime It’s Nice That favourite Micah Lidberg for the illustrations, while She Was Only built the accompanying website and not surprisingly this talented triumvirate have done a belting job.
The album takes its name from William Steig’s children’s book The Zabajaba Jungle, which Davey describes as “ a beguiling story that lives somewhere between the strange and familiar, with its young lead slashing through creeper vines with his bolo knife and going where no human being has ever penetrated. That’s not just probably the best reference for the sound of the record, but a measure of the band’s talent and ambition!”
Micah used washes of watercolour on the artwork to stunning effect while the gold foiled lettering was hand-drawn by the band’s frontman Dave Bayley himself.
So take that cliched saying, good things really do come in threes! Oh.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting