Bird-spotting, Santa-papping photographer Luke Stephenson has recently turned his attentions to the documentation of a Great British culinary staple; the humble 99. For international readers allow me to explain: the 99 is Great Britain’s answer to France’s crêpe, or New York’s one dollar pizza – an article of questionable nutritional value that’s available in any number of strange locations throughout the summer. It’s a glorious swirl of vanilla ice cream spat unceremoniously into a flimsy synthetic cone and we eat them in their thousands.
Last summer Luke spent 25 days travelling the length and breadth of the country in a mini camper van documenting the highs and lows of the British ice cream trade. He had only one rule, to say yes to whatever he was offered, leading to an extraordinary array of marshmallow-encrusted, raspberry ripple-topped novelties alongside more traditional examples. All of them were photographed in Luke’s portable ice cream studio outside their respective vendors.
Now Luke is turning his collection of images into a book and needs our help to do so. He’s launched a Kickstarter to fund 99×99s and we’d very much like to encourage you to get involved. At the very least supporting him will get you a copy of this lovely volume, and at most you can become a named patron within the book, as well as the proud owner of some limited edition artist prints. If you’re really generous he’ll also buy you a 99 all of your own.
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- Photographer Josh Cohen captures New York’s hidden gems
- June Diary: Where to go and what to see
- Atelier Dyakova designs previously unpublished tome, The Photographer’s Cookbook
- Is mindfulness the key to keeping creativity flowing?
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"