Bird-spotting, Santa-papping photographer Luke Stephenson has recently turned his attentions to the documentation of a Great British culinary staple; the humble 99. For international readers allow me to explain: the 99 is Great Britain’s answer to France’s crêpe, or New York’s one dollar pizza – an article of questionable nutritional value that’s available in any number of strange locations throughout the summer. It’s a glorious swirl of vanilla ice cream spat unceremoniously into a flimsy synthetic cone and we eat them in their thousands.
Last summer Luke spent 25 days travelling the length and breadth of the country in a mini camper van documenting the highs and lows of the British ice cream trade. He had only one rule, to say yes to whatever he was offered, leading to an extraordinary array of marshmallow-encrusted, raspberry ripple-topped novelties alongside more traditional examples. All of them were photographed in Luke’s portable ice cream studio outside their respective vendors.
Now Luke is turning his collection of images into a book and needs our help to do so. He’s launched a Kickstarter to fund 99×99s and we’d very much like to encourage you to get involved. At the very least supporting him will get you a copy of this lovely volume, and at most you can become a named patron within the book, as well as the proud owner of some limited edition artist prints. If you’re really generous he’ll also buy you a 99 all of your own.
- Oliver Jeffers, Yuri Suzuki, Anna Ginsburg and Jimmy Turrell at Nicer Tuesdays
- An exercise in colour and control: David Hockney’s 82 portraits and one still life at the RA
- Woodstock 1969 immortalised on film by iconic photographer Baron Wolman
- Laurina Paperina's dark, weird but charming work
- Studio Frith creates Patti Smith-inspired identity for the inaugural Art Night festival
- Cindy Yang’s poignant animation questions the routine and mundanity of life
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round