Bird-spotting, Santa-papping photographer Luke Stephenson has recently turned his attentions to the documentation of a Great British culinary staple; the humble 99. For international readers allow me to explain: the 99 is Great Britain’s answer to France’s crêpe, or New York’s one dollar pizza – an article of questionable nutritional value that’s available in any number of strange locations throughout the summer. It’s a glorious swirl of vanilla ice cream spat unceremoniously into a flimsy synthetic cone and we eat them in their thousands.
Last summer Luke spent 25 days travelling the length and breadth of the country in a mini camper van documenting the highs and lows of the British ice cream trade. He had only one rule, to say yes to whatever he was offered, leading to an extraordinary array of marshmallow-encrusted, raspberry ripple-topped novelties alongside more traditional examples. All of them were photographed in Luke’s portable ice cream studio outside their respective vendors.
Now Luke is turning his collection of images into a book and needs our help to do so. He’s launched a Kickstarter to fund 99×99s and we’d very much like to encourage you to get involved. At the very least supporting him will get you a copy of this lovely volume, and at most you can become a named patron within the book, as well as the proud owner of some limited edition artist prints. If you’re really generous he’ll also buy you a 99 all of your own.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang