Generally I’ve always been a girly girl. I went through the tomboy phase of fluorescent Kappa popper joggers, but who didn’t really? One of my favourite places as a child was the aisle in Toys R Us where all the dolls, Barbies, Sindys, My Little Ponies and anything else ‘for girls’ sat there gleaming in all that glossy pink and purple packaging. It used to make me so happy, which is perhaps why I find myself smiling at the work of Spanish graphic designer Marta Cerda Alimbau, whose work is an array of well-executed, lovely looking design with a palette of proud lavenders and punchy magentas with sprinklings of pastels and green hues that can’t help but transport me back to that aisle.
Her work is of course more than just pretty though and having been featured back in 2009, Marta has been busy producing huge amounts of work since. All of which have such an accomplished and slick air about them it’s an impressive portfolio to look through. It’s fun, bright, sophisticated and definitely makes me forget about the horrible rain this morning.
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- Meet the speakers: Frances Corner, Yukai Du, Akinola Davies and Simon Landrein
- Illustrator Antoine Cossé talks about the highs and lows of creating comic books
- How Greg Barth and Droga5’s surreal, retro-futuristic ad for Mailchimp was made
- Llewellyn Mejia's paintings created in between commercial projects
- Robert Nicol’s brutish but spirited illustrations spanning artistic mediums
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris