This month’s Nicer Tuesdays will take place at Downstairs at Mother and we’ll be exploring the world of satire. We’ve invited some great speakers who have combined their creative skills with a sharp sense of humour to provide insightful and down right funny social commentaries.
Speakers are award-winning political cartoonist Banx, whose gags have appeared everywhere from Private Eye and Punch to his current daily column in The Financial Times, and fine artist Barnaby Barford who will be talking to us about his unique ceramic narratives which fuse dark humour and irony to draw a portrait of our contemporary lives.
Also joining us will be visual artist and comedian Miriam Elia, whose practice continually challenges the boundary between comedy and fine art, and co-founder of The LOCO London Comedy Film Festival Jonathan Wakeham who will explain why they’ve chosen satire as the theme for next year’s festival.
Nicer Tuesdays takes place on Tuesday October 29 – get your tickets now to join us in our exploration of this long-running artistic inspiration. Also please note the change of venue!!
Attendee speaker slot
As ever we also have a slot for one of you to join in the evening’s entertainment, with a three-minute slot reserved for someone whose practice also engages with satire in some way. To throw your hat into the ring email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short synopsis of who you are and what you’d like to talk about.
- Four illustrators have their works drawn by Joto at Here 2017
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos