Ah, October. Greenday are waking up from their September-induced slumber, WHSmiths have nothing left on their stationery shelves, you’ve washed all the Glasto-mud and holiday sand out of your hair only to replace it with grease and pot noodle juice because you’re so busy making fantastic new work that you haven’t showered in several days.
Don’t worry, though, you might not have spoken to anybody but your flatmate and your tutor this past week but we still want to talk to you! So much so, in fact, that we’re relaunching our Student of the Month competition just in the nick of time for the new academic year to start. So if you’ve been busy building, drawing, painting or sculpting (ain’t no creative talent we can’t get behind) send your very best project through to us and we will inform the world about how fantastic you are!
Check out the terms and conditions below as per. Read them as you would a tenancy agreement, not a compulsory course textbook.
What to submit
We only want you to submit ONE project, but it should be your finest work to date. So if it’s a project you made in your first year and you’re now in your second, that’s great, but don’t forget that you must still be in education to qualify. We want to see cool new work from students who don’t study art and design-based subjects, too, even if it is just bits and pieces you’re making alongside your course!
Text and Links
– Your full name
– Full course title
– Place of study
– What year you’re currently in
Next, send through a paragraph of no more than 150 words about you, your project, and when the work was made . Of course, include a web link: blog, flickr, tumblr, website – all very handy! We’ll be back in touch for more information if you are selected.
If you’re submitting a video/moving image piece, please include a link to YouTube or Vimeo.
– Maximum of five images, at a maximum of 705 pixels wide.
– Include them as attachments within an email, and not as a zip or pdf.
Where to submit
In the subject line of your email, please include the title Student of the Month and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student of the Month is kindly supported by Laurence King Publishing. You can sign up to the LKP Student List now to get 35% off all our student titles at www.laurenceking.com.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s