HELLO! Welcome back listeners. This week’s pod is an absolute CRACKER because is it just me or are things starting to feel just…a little…bit…festive? Listen to this week’s rather funny (if we say so ourselves) podcast on the SoundCloud below or just subscribe via iTunes here. so you can listen to it on the bus home. Learning!
We kicked off this week chatting about Mould Map, which has smashed its Kickstarter this week and raised nearly £30,000! And you thought illustrators had no money. We then reminisced about the time Thibaud Herem came into the office this week and showed us his magnificent new book about the art deco buildings of London. GET ON MY CHRISTMAS LIST. We also had a gush about Pharrell and the interactive scroll-fest of an interview with him put together by Tim Saccenti and chatted about the truly game-changing designs for A&E by Pearson Lloyd.
Annnnnnddd rolling into section two, we got all arty and had a very intellectual discussion about this year’s Turner Prize winner, Laure Prouvost. In true It’s Nice That fashion we then turned our attention to the Turnip Prize which is held in Somerset each year to poke fun at the art world with puns. Why not, eh? We then go on to have a good old chinwag about the 60th anniversary of intelligent naughty magazine Playboy. Is Kate Moss a good choice for their 18-page pull out? Probably. See you next week!
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s