Welcome podders! Can you believe we’re on our fifth series and 24th episode? Crazy! This week is very exciting as Will Hudson, director of It’s Nice That joins us, Liv Siddall, James Cartwright and Rob Alderson on this voyage into cultural chinwagging. As ever you can listen on the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes here.
We kicked off the pod chatting about David OReilly’s very serene new Tamagotchi-like video game Mountain for the desktop and how it’s dramatically altered the lives of Liv and James. Then we had a chat about Zaha Hadid winning the Designs of the Year prize, and if there even needs to be a winner in the competition in general.
We also discussed the new Wired redesign and pondered the phrase “going back to basics” that seems to crop up quite regularly when talking about the new look of a publication. To finish we talked about what we learnt from the brilliant documentary recently aired on The New York Times about three six-year-old girls who are obsessed with skateboarding. Join us again next week on Studio Audience.
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Clément Le Tulle-Neyret's considered approach to Strange Designs
- Manita Songserm disregards the rules to create unruly and intriguing work
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?