Sorry for the slight delay on bringing you this week’s podcast but we would modestly suggest it’s worth the wait. Here’s your Studio Audience bingo card for this episode: 1. Use of the word “lampoon.” 2. A strangely Blairite description of David Shrigley. 3. The second use of the word “lampoon.” 4. An allusion to an infamous bottle-based Bog Brother incident. 5. A bizarre drug-art metaphor. Enjoy!
You can subscribe via iTunes here or listen via the SoundCloud link above.
First up this week we hailed Amy West’s great Grafik BS project, a hoax looking at style over substance in the design world and we analysed Instagram’s plans to introduce adverts. We also welcomed the news that Greenpeace are walking a massive polar bear puppet through the streets of London this weekend and looked forward to a documentary focussing on two unlikely contemporary art world heroes, Herb and Dorothy Vogel.
Section Two kicked off with the week-long-awaited look at the shortlist for the Trafalgar Square Fourth Plinth commission and in particular the inclusion of David Shrigley (hot on the heels of his Turner Prize recognition).
Then we appraised plans by the National Trust to open up the Big Brother house to the public as part of a campaign to engage new visitors in a tongue-in-cheek way.
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant