Two, four, six, eight who or what do we appreciate? Studio Audience! Three, five, seven, nine, the podcast’s yours it isn’t mine so let’s go, with the flow, hands high and booties low! Give me an S! Give me a T! Give me a U! Oh you get the idea. You can listen to the new episode using the Sound Cloud link below or you can subscribe visa iTunes here.
First up this week we talked about Spencer Murphy’s victory in the Taylor Wessing portrait photography prize, the new look i-D website and what new owners Vice had to say about it. We also paid tribute to Deborah Sussman’s 1984 LA Olympics design and celebrated Hull, the UK city’s of culture for 2017.
We started Section Two by reflecting on the rise and rise of the selfie, named this week as the word of 2013 following a 17,000% increase in usage.
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Sam Taylor on creating a triptych of weekly illustrations for tech mag T3
- Leah Gordon photographs the Freemasons of contemporary Haiti
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy