Two, four, six, eight who or what do we appreciate? Studio Audience! Three, five, seven, nine, the podcast’s yours it isn’t mine so let’s go, with the flow, hands high and booties low! Give me an S! Give me a T! Give me a U! Oh you get the idea. You can listen to the new episode using the Sound Cloud link below or you can subscribe visa iTunes here.
First up this week we talked about Spencer Murphy’s victory in the Taylor Wessing portrait photography prize, the new look i-D website and what new owners Vice had to say about it. We also paid tribute to Deborah Sussman’s 1984 LA Olympics design and celebrated Hull, the UK city’s of culture for 2017.
We started Section Two by reflecting on the rise and rise of the selfie, named this week as the word of 2013 following a 17,000% increase in usage.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting