Illustrator and designer Thomas Colligan has created Small Notes, a zine that contains a “selection of moments and items that we too often forget”. The zine is made up of a collection of beautifully drawn, colourful line drawings that depict simple activities like reading while lying down, having drinks with friends or just hanging out with loved ones in silence.
The mundane actions are captured in bright, vibrant hues with a focus on pattern and flat landscapes, which allows Thomas to experiment with how the shape of his characters and their surroundings fit together, rather than the nitty gritty details. To offset the primary-coloured artwork, Thomas has included blue, monotone drawings in the same style that change the pace of the zine.
The Switzerland-born, New York-based illustrator and designer was last featured on It’s Nice That in 2014 and 2015, and while this series of drawings still has the same colourful sensibility as back then, his style has become more pared back and refined, showing a maturity in his work.
The zine has been printed in a four-colour Risograph and published by Txt Books, who also published Anibal Bley’s zine Paso, which was recently on t’s Nice That. Thomas is a “co-co-co-founder” of the independent publishing project and the collective is just gearing up to show its publications at LA Art Book Fair, which kicks off 24 February 2017.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design