Baleapop is a music and arts festival that takes place in Saint-Jean-de-Luz in France every summer and Paris-based Twice Studio has been tasked with creating this year’s identity, and its the fifth year of the studio working with the event.
“This year we chose the topic of ‘community’, trying to capture how a group of people come together and enjoy a short time together at the festival. [Through the identity] we want to build a new community during the festival, where we create its own rules, money and beliefs,” explains the studio. “We decided to work with old myths and legends from traditional societies and cultures like South America, India and Africa. People in those ancient societies used to gather together around a popular belief, usually represented by steles or totems.”
From its research, Twice worked on a series of god-like representations that appear as architectural icons, creating a “god of music, a god of art and the Baleapop god”. The colours chosen for the identity use solid primary colours with flashes of black and brown to create impact.
The bold, geometric lines and symmetrical compositions seen throughout the identity all come together to “tempt people to come party and convey a positive energy” and Twice Studio has used Suisse Int’l regular as the typeface, which sits stoically next to the dynamic graphics. “The whole identity is a sort of call to action, to gather people to celebrate art, music, summer and nature during Baleapop,” explains the studio.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos