Yesterday (25 February) a 16-episode visual interpretation of David Bowie’s ★ (pronounced Blackstar) debuted exclusively on Instagram. Before his death on 10 January 2016, Bowie provided music and images from his last album to InstaMiniSeries, a startup that creates programming for Instagram.
The series called Unbound: A ★ InstaMiniSeries was completed in December last year and will take the audience on a “journey of evocative images inspired by the moods suggested in the album’s music, lyrics and artwork.”
Each episode is only 15 seconds long, meaning the entire project will have a total running time of around four minutes. Nikki Borges, InstaMiniSeries founder and executive producer said: “Bowie has always been about reinvention over repetition. Remarkably honest and passionate in his work, his innovations have influenced our own work as we transform a social media platform into a creative outlet. We are grateful to hav ethe opportunity to participate with the chameleonic rock icon and honoured to be entrusted with interpreting his art.
New episodes will air on the InstaMiniSeries channel every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
"UNBOUND” Episode One Executive Producer:
InstaMiniSeries Director: @nikkiborges Music: @davidbowie Writer: @carolynncecilia Co-Producer: @lawrenceperyer Director of Photography: @joshuasterlingbragg Line Producer: @delaVega Associate Producer: @amandadelanuez, @itscecifernandez Production Designer: @LezGolden Costume Designer: @Bodilicious Hair / Make Up Artist: @missy_mua Miss Clarkson’s MakeUp Artist: @angdidmyhair VFX Production House: @heym1ster Dance Choreographer: @ofbonesdance, @hollyebynum Stunt Coordinator: @stuntmanpete Wire Rigger: @stuntworks Stunt Woman: @hellskitten29 Behind The Scenes: @a_madd Production Assistant: @clemencyforclem Special Thanks: @instalucas Final Cut: #dechesermedia Editor: Mike Ragone Creative Consultant: Michael Decheser Starring: @tavitulle, @rysak, @nikkiborges, Ching Valdes Anan, @amandadelanuez, @Jayknowlest, Jonah Herman</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by InstaMiniSeries (instaminiseries) on
- M/M (Paris) and the ongoing conversations that define its practice
- Mari Kanstad Johnson's wonderful work picks apart complex narratives
- Bradley Pinkerton’s projects combine handmade gestures with scanned-in textures
- Roberts Rurans uses acrylic paint to add depth and warmth to his illustrations
- The prodigal return of “iconoclastic” artist Danny Fox
- Jump into the world of Ben Jones’ post-internet, psychedelic paintings
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books