McCann London has created a new ad for Batchelor’s Cup a Soup and its Deliciously Thick range starring Joey Essex from ITV’s The Only Way is Essex. The spot sees a topless Joey saunter into a swish kitchen and make a Cup a Soup backed up by a classical soundtrack.
The ad mimics the trend for adverts to seductively sell any household item as a luxury product like coffee, ice cream and even cat food, but cleverly undercuts the extravagance with Joey’s Tim Nice But Dim reputation for being a little slow-witted. A voiceover declares the soup as “Incredibly tasty. Phenomenally thick,” as Joey smiles and then realises the jibe. A gourmet play from Batchelor’s, the ad remains just relatable enough for us to reach for the kettle.
- “My personal work informs everything that comes after it" and other bits we learned at September's Nicer Tuesdays
- Xiang Guan’s Symbiotic Objects require a human component
- Alex Fergusson on the provocative and powerful nature of surface graphics
- Bendik Kaltenborn talks us through his retrospective book, collating ten years worth of work
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books