McCann London has created a new ad for Batchelor’s Cup a Soup and its Deliciously Thick range starring Joey Essex from ITV’s The Only Way is Essex. The spot sees a topless Joey saunter into a swish kitchen and make a Cup a Soup backed up by a classical soundtrack.
The ad mimics the trend for adverts to seductively sell any household item as a luxury product like coffee, ice cream and even cat food, but cleverly undercuts the extravagance with Joey’s Tim Nice But Dim reputation for being a little slow-witted. A voiceover declares the soup as “Incredibly tasty. Phenomenally thick,” as Joey smiles and then realises the jibe. A gourmet play from Batchelor’s, the ad remains just relatable enough for us to reach for the kettle.
- The effortlessly lovely hand-drawn illustrations of Paula Bulling
- Kii Monroe Arens' delicious gig posters
- Alex Paulus’ textured are full of misshapen characters in odd situations
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- Carmel Buckley and Mark Harris disect the album covers of calypso singer Mighty Sparrow
- Robots, rules and corporate identity: inside issue three of Japanese football magazine Shukyu
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich