McCann London has created a new ad for Batchelor’s Cup a Soup and its Deliciously Thick range starring Joey Essex from ITV’s The Only Way is Essex. The spot sees a topless Joey saunter into a swish kitchen and make a Cup a Soup backed up by a classical soundtrack.
The ad mimics the trend for adverts to seductively sell any household item as a luxury product like coffee, ice cream and even cat food, but cleverly undercuts the extravagance with Joey’s Tim Nice But Dim reputation for being a little slow-witted. A voiceover declares the soup as “Incredibly tasty. Phenomenally thick,” as Joey smiles and then realises the jibe. A gourmet play from Batchelor’s, the ad remains just relatable enough for us to reach for the kettle.
- Creative director David Lane tells us about redesigning frieze and creating campaigns for Hermés and Ally Capellino
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Anibal Bley’s Risograph zine experiments with glitchy patterns and illustrations
- CG Watkins’ narratively driven photography conveys mystery and escapism
- Sharp Type creates punchy typeface inspired by Swiss designer Adrian Frutiger
- Illustrator Susa Monteiro’s lonely figures battle the elements
- Grope Sans: a very rude typeface by Bompas & Parr
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- The reductive and exacting work of graphic designer Laura Prim
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Nicolas Jaar releases Network, a book inspired by radio