Type fanatics of the world rejoice; that limited selection of Swiss modernist type faces you’ve been using for the past decade has just been increased by one; and it’s a beauty! The respectable folks over at Fontsmith, in particular type design director Phil Garnham, have spent the past two years developing FS Emeric, a sans serif with a distinctly modernist flavour enhanced and updated with some additional contemporary flourishes.
Phil explains; “The timeless alphabets of the fifties have a deliberate neutrality, born out of an unfaltering mechanical solidity in each line and curve. FS Emeric has been designed to share this sense of structure and universality but it also introduces a new approach, intuitively informed by a sense of today, one of progress and optimism.”
To celebrate the launch of FS Emeric, Fontsmith have teamed up with some of their, and our, favourite design studios to produce a selection of 12 posters that showcase the font and demonstrate some of its unique features as well as giving the studios a chance to show off some of their visual flair. Form London they’ve got Build, Pentagram and Bibliothèque, Manual from San Francisco, Studio Dumbar from Rotterdam and Lundgren + Lindqvist from Gothenburg. Pretty tasty selection if you ask us!
This article was produced in collaboration with Fontsmith.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting