Type fanatics of the world rejoice; that limited selection of Swiss modernist type faces you’ve been using for the past decade has just been increased by one; and it’s a beauty! The respectable folks over at Fontsmith, in particular type design director Phil Garnham, have spent the past two years developing FS Emeric, a sans serif with a distinctly modernist flavour enhanced and updated with some additional contemporary flourishes.
Phil explains; “The timeless alphabets of the fifties have a deliberate neutrality, born out of an unfaltering mechanical solidity in each line and curve. FS Emeric has been designed to share this sense of structure and universality but it also introduces a new approach, intuitively informed by a sense of today, one of progress and optimism.”
To celebrate the launch of FS Emeric, Fontsmith have teamed up with some of their, and our, favourite design studios to produce a selection of 12 posters that showcase the font and demonstrate some of its unique features as well as giving the studios a chance to show off some of their visual flair. Form London they’ve got Build, Pentagram and Bibliothèque, Manual from San Francisco, Studio Dumbar from Rotterdam and Lundgren + Lindqvist from Gothenburg. Pretty tasty selection if you ask us!
This article was produced in collaboration with Fontsmith.
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant