Type fanatics of the world rejoice; that limited selection of Swiss modernist type faces you’ve been using for the past decade has just been increased by one; and it’s a beauty! The respectable folks over at Fontsmith, in particular type design director Phil Garnham, have spent the past two years developing FS Emeric, a sans serif with a distinctly modernist flavour enhanced and updated with some additional contemporary flourishes.
Phil explains; “The timeless alphabets of the fifties have a deliberate neutrality, born out of an unfaltering mechanical solidity in each line and curve. FS Emeric has been designed to share this sense of structure and universality but it also introduces a new approach, intuitively informed by a sense of today, one of progress and optimism.”
To celebrate the launch of FS Emeric, Fontsmith have teamed up with some of their, and our, favourite design studios to produce a selection of 12 posters that showcase the font and demonstrate some of its unique features as well as giving the studios a chance to show off some of their visual flair. Form London they’ve got Build, Pentagram and Bibliothèque, Manual from San Francisco, Studio Dumbar from Rotterdam and Lundgren + Lindqvist from Gothenburg. Pretty tasty selection if you ask us!
This article was produced in collaboration with Fontsmith.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography