Because truly brilliant design is so important, those creatives who hold themselves to a higher standard and go above and beyond the everyday are especially inspiring. On 18 March we’ll be holding a special event to celebrate those practitioners whose pursuit of brilliance defines what they do, to mark the UK launch of the new HTC One M9 phone.
The east London event will bring together four design thinkers whose work is characterised by its intelligence, ambition and creative purity. We’ll be welcoming digital pioneer and founder of POKE London Nicholas Roope, whose Hulger company was also behind the multi-award winning Plumen lightbulb, and we’ll be joined by Australian body-architect Lucy McRae, whose incredible work has been commissioned by major companies and leading artists alike. Sam Jacob – an architect and writer who combines erudition and imagination to equal effect – will be speaking, and the line-up is completed by HTC’s creative director Daniel Hundt, talking about his design background that contributed to the award-winning HTC One series.
Each will give a short talk about how the “pursuit of brilliance” impacts and inspires their diverse creative practices, after which there’ll be a panel discussion between the speakers to compare and contrast their different approaches and a chance for the audience to ask questions.
The event takes place at the Protein Space in Shoreditch on Wednesday March 18. Tickets are free and can be reserved at the Eventbrite page here or below.
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design