Because truly brilliant design is so important, those creatives who hold themselves to a higher standard and go above and beyond the everyday are especially inspiring. On 18 March we’ll be holding a special event to celebrate those practitioners whose pursuit of brilliance defines what they do, to mark the UK launch of the new HTC One M9 phone.
The east London event will bring together four design thinkers whose work is characterised by its intelligence, ambition and creative purity. We’ll be welcoming digital pioneer and founder of POKE London Nicholas Roope, whose Hulger company was also behind the multi-award winning Plumen lightbulb, and we’ll be joined by Australian body-architect Lucy McRae, whose incredible work has been commissioned by major companies and leading artists alike. Sam Jacob – an architect and writer who combines erudition and imagination to equal effect – will be speaking, and the line-up is completed by HTC’s creative director Daniel Hundt, talking about his design background that contributed to the award-winning HTC One series.
Each will give a short talk about how the “pursuit of brilliance” impacts and inspires their diverse creative practices, after which there’ll be a panel discussion between the speakers to compare and contrast their different approaches and a chance for the audience to ask questions.
The event takes place at the Protein Space in Shoreditch on Wednesday March 18. Tickets are free and can be reserved at the Eventbrite page here or below.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s