The Golden Pin Design Award is an annual celebration of projects and products that have been created exclusively for and within Chinese-speaking communities. Every year, designers and delegates congregate in Taipei to cast an eye over some of the most cutting-edge design work going on in one of the biggest markets in the world. Spread across product design, communication design, spatial design, and integration design, it showcases emerging and existing talent.
At a ceremony last night, this year’s winners were announced. Taking place at the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park a total of 37 gongs — 34 best design and three ‘Special Annual Awards’ — were doled out. Winners arrived from across China, Hong Kong and Taiwan to get their grateful hands on a trophy and a certificate. Think of it as one of those end-of-year 11 ceremonies you went to, except with more world-class design talent and less plastic cups of room temperature lemonade.
The 2018 winners included Landscape of City Magazine, a “3D map made up of City Magazine’s cover art, combined to form an aesthetic, atmospheric, historical, and biographical collage,” the Luka Baby Reading Robot, which uses visual recognition technology to help children learn to read, and Fountain a magazine which features “in-depth discussions of cultural issues and phenomena in Taiwan.”
You can check out the full list of winning projects and products right here.
- For illustrator Doris Liou, “drawings are about what you want to show others”
- Julian Glander is on the lookout for a collaborator to create a new set of emojis
- Revue Tintamarre is a free publication showcasing the work of one student every month
- Marta da Silva’s impressive portfolio is “fluid, futuristic and somehow blissfully chaotic”
- Double Click August is full of playful designs that prompt user interaction
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping