Appealing to Easter egg fans and Ikeaphiles alike, a hidden detail of the Ikea Place app allows users to place a “magical” wardrobe anywhere and travel through its doors to a secret portal.
The app uses augmented reality to allow shoppers to see Ikea furniture at scale in real life scenarios, so you can see what that bookcase will really look like in your living room. But as users are beginning to discover and share on Twitter, if you place one particular wardrobe in front of you on the app, you can walk through and enter a parallel universe akin to Narnia. Although this alternate world is decidedly less fantastical than Narnia – it’s an ordinary Ikea warehouse. From inside the warehouse you can peruse the stacked shelves of boxed furniture, and look back on the real world behind you.
To try out the portal, open the Ikea Place app, press the plus button until your phone vibrates and place the flatpack wardrobe somewhere, then climb in. You need an iPhone 6S or above with iOS 11 or an Android phone with ARCore.
- Miranda July’s latest work is a high-tech portrait of the Uber driver who took her to interview Rihanna
- Léa Augereau's figurative paintings feature a diverse range of strong and confident women
- Artist Adam Ferriss' photography filters are better than any on Snapchat
- Graphic designer Jaap Smit physicalises the web in his data-driven practice
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Photographer Louise Reinke's latest shoot is inspired by the legendary Dionne Warwick
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham
- Greg Sharp animates a video that builds in momentum for the catchiest song of the year