As the lines between roles and sectors blur into one giant Pangea of a creative industry, this first project from Droga5’s Mini account acts as a beacon for such changes. Since being appointed the car brand’s global ad agency in 2018, Droga5 hasn’t made an advert, but a short film titled Nimic, featuring not a single Mini. It has also worked with one of the most lauded directors currently in Hollywood, Yorgos Lanthimos, whose past works include The Favourite, The Lobster and The Killing Of A Sacred Deer.
The surreal 12-minute film was written by Lanthimos with longtime collaborator Efthymis Filippou, and stars actors Matt Dillon, Daphne Patakia and Susan Elle, telling the story of a professional cellist who encounters something on the subway which has unexpected ramifications on his life. “Living firmly in Lanthimos’ unique cinematic universe,” Droga5 explains in a statement, “the film asks questions about identity, perception, relationships and circularity.”
Lanthimos says of the film: “I was glad to be given the opportunity to work on a shorter format that can be sometimes challenging but quite rewarding. We developed a script starting from a very intriguing initial idea and concept, and enjoyed great creative freedom during the realisation of the film. It is always very exciting to be invited to think outside the box and wrestle with stimulating ideas.”
Nimic premiered on 9 August at Locarno Film Festival, Switzerland, open until 17 August 2019 – watch the trailer below. Droga5 hopes to screen the film at further international festivals throughout the year.
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping