Edgy youth media specialists Vice’s latest documentary sees it profiling a filmmaker with a difference.
All of his life David Fussell has dreamt of an action-spy-horror film called Mystic Demon Killer. After familial and financial tragedy strikes, David decides to make that dream a reality. Released yesterday, The Homeless Film Director charts David’s progress as he self-finances, writes, produces, directs, and acts in the film that’s evidently sustained him through thick and thin.
Having originally begun shooting Mystic Demon Killer in Wales, David moved down to London in 2013. Like Blanche DuBois, David — now homeless — relied on the kindness of others, a story he details in this week’s Time Out.
Eventually, a member of staff at Vice’s London office got wind of the movie, thanks to a mention in a local newspaper. The resulting documentary — directed by Grant Armour — follows David as he prepares for the cinematic release of Mystic Demon Killer, which makes its debut at Screen on the Green.
There are over 320,000 homeless people living in Britain today, and rough sleeping estimates are up by around 165 per cent since 2010. Which makes projects like The Homeless Film Director all the more important – after all, homelessness doesn’t preclude imagination and invention.
Anyone wanting to watch Mystic Demon Killer itself can hop on over to Vimeo and rent the thing right now.
- For illustrator Doris Liou, “drawings are about what you want to show others”
- Julian Glander is on the lookout for a collaborator to create a new set of emojis
- Revue Tintamarre is a free publication showcasing the work of one student every month
- Marta da Silva’s impressive portfolio is “fluid, futuristic and somehow blissfully chaotic”
- Double Click August is full of playful designs that prompt user interaction
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals