It gives me great pleasure to announce the winners from the first week of our Lomography Diana Mini competition. The amount of entries was truly staggering and a total of 1829 photos were put forward and along with Lomo, we’ve picked our ten favourites that you can see here, as well as an interview with the overall winner charwang, who takes away a stack of great prizes. This week’s theme is ’It’s Nice There’ and all you can submit your for the next 4 days…
Hey charwang, congratulations on winning the competition, can you tell us a little bit about who you are and what you do?
I’m a recent college graduate from California who has transplanted to the Washington DC area to work for the NIH (National Institute of Health). I currently work on HIV vaccine development at the NIH. In my free time, I’m a big fan of globetrotting, photography, and gastronomy.
What is your photo about, and why did you think it fit the ‘It’s Nice That’ theme?
I took a photo of a mango lassipop, which is a popsicle form of a mango lassi (an Indian yogurt drink). A local Indian food truck (Fojol Bros of Merlinda) sells these during hot days in the Washington DC area, which I tend to chase down as frequently as possible. Clearly, I think mango lassipops are quite nice!
What’s the first thing you’re going to photograph with your new Diana Mini?
Either my explorations while sneaking away from my work retreat in Philadelphia (can you say Liberty Bell?) or my 22nd birthday shenanigans!
- Cleon Peterson's works continue to investigate the evil side of humanity
- Winsor & Newton lifts the lid on the secret tricks of every artist's trade
- Calypso Mahieu’s photography makes the simplest things sexy (some NSFW)
- Foster Huntington’s stop-motion short of an 80s Californian skate off
- Dax Norman’s weird and wobbly animations with “cigarettes and eyeballs a plenty”
- Photographer Evija Laivina explores the ridiculous reality of the beauty industry
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled