I have always had a big soft spot for Roger Dean’s paintings. When I saw Avatar I felt that bits of it were familiar but couldn’t really put my finger on why. Then I was in a bookshop and picked up his book and bam! there was pandora, complete with floating mountains, rock arches and brightly coloured dragons.
I was sure he must have had a hand in the artistic direction of Avatar so I checked it out. It seems not, and there is a lot of conjecture about law suits! Make up your own mind. His site is a little sparse but Google image search will get you a lot.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled