Originally from north London, Anna Brooks grew up in Brighton before moving to Kingston to study. Not wanting to study just graphic design as she wasn’t sure exactly what it entailed Anna decided to study the graphic design and photography at Kingston University. She is also the other half to the Class Portrait project we featured yesterday in collaboration with Samantha Harvey.
When it comes to work Anna gets frustrated sitting at a computer and would much rather be out an about getting inspiration from people, places and things.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I wanted to be a dancer up until I was given a camera in year 10 and realised I couldn’t dance too well.
In reflection, how bad was your work in the first year?
At the time I thought it was pretty good… However it cost me a grand total of £2.80 to print the whole thing, 40 p per A3 laser print if i think i remember correctly done in the uni library. What more could you ask for in a portfolio!?
If you could show a piece of your folio to one person, what piece would you choose, and who would you show it to?
Maybe I would show the Fallen Constellations to Galileo and see if he would humour us on our depiction of stars.
If you had your own studio, who would you share it with and why?
If it were possible I would love to work again in a studio with lots of my Kingston peers. Realistically however I would love to work in a place/studio environment where each member of a small team contributed a different discipline and together formed an interesting collective of people and work. A place full of inspiration and fun.
If you’ve got any left, what will you spend the last of your student loan on?
I owe my dad a belated birthday present which I didn’t get him during New blood! uh oh.
Where will we find you in 12 months?
Hopefully driving somewhere nice for the weekend (I’m finally learning to drive at the moment) after finishing a long productive week somewhere in a design or photography studio.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled