Daniel Britt is an animator, graduating from Kingston University on the Illustration and Animation BA. He’s currently finishing his graduation film, ‘The Lost Coin’ , which he’s spent the last 4 months working on with friend Joe Pelling. His work ticks both the ‘good idea’ and ‘execution’ box which is a bit of a rarity and why we’ve decided to let you know a little more about him…
Daniel is currently getting ready for his degree show Fresh Meat which is up at Shoreditch Town Hall from June 17 -21. When he’s not animating he helps edit a zine called ‘This Is It’ and play the vocoder and guitar in a band called Sheeps
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I think i wanted to be a paleontologist, probably because of Jurassic Park. I didn’t try animation until I was doing my A-levels, when I decided that was what I wanted to do.
In reflection, how bad was your work in the first year?
Well I hope its improved! They pushed us pretty hard with technical drawing stuff in the first year, and I wasn’t used to it. I eventually found my own way of doing things though.
If you could show a piece of your folio to one person, what piece would you choose, and who would you show it to?
This is a hard one, I guess anyone who would enjoy it, and possibly employ me to do more stuff like it.
If you had your own business, who would you employ and why?
I would employ all my friends, so I would enjoy going to work there, and I would employ the musician/animator Chad Vangaalen, because his films are amazing. Also Bruce Bickford and Vince Collins would be great to work with.
If you’ve got any left, what will you spend the last of your student loan on?
Where will we find you in 12 months?
Working in animation, doing projects with the collective I work with called This Is It. Hopefully doing fun jobs and meeting nice people.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled