Words, images and design combine in a magazine to create a linguistic and visual tone that relates to and reflects the magazine’s readership. This tone is based on the broad vision of the creative team, but underlying it is a structure that starts and ends with lists.
A new issue is based around a list of content that continually develops as the issue comes together. Once pages are being created this list is expressed visually in the flat plan, a map of the issue listing the content page by page.
On the pages themselves, lists are a vital part of the modern magazine, and no more so than in the NY title List. This magazine consisted entirely of lists, as its contents page, left, shows. Written lists detailed supermodels’ day rates and pictorial lists provided visual histories of the game console.
- LuckyMe’s Lunice film for Apple Music is a theatrical trip through 90s hip hop videos
- Printed Pages AW17 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints, a party and more!
- Tatiana Ermolaeva's coherent “but not too slick” work for the Strelka Bar
- BBC’s David Bailey’s must watch talk for font fanatics from Nicer Tuesdays
- Shin Morae translates her memories into pastel illustrations
- Sarah Meyohas combines virtual reality, 10,000 roses and artificial intelligence in Cloud of Petals
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum