Sticking two fingers up to Monday morning on this cold, grey almost amusingly stereotypical November day we are thrilled to have Steve Watson, founder and curator of Stack magazines which celebrates the best independent publications the world has to offer. Steve’s a busy man but he found time to share his hopes and plans for the week ahead. Over to you sir…
What’s the best way of getting over Monday morning blues?
This morning it was with a bit of video editing. I’ve set myself the challenge of posting a new magazine video on the Stack blog every Tuesday, and it’s the thing I’m most excited about at the moment. Even if I do have to ban myself from using the words “lovely,” “brilliant” and “great.”
What song will you be listening to most this week?
I’m going to ATP at the end of the month so I’ll be working my way through the lineup on YouTube. Currently as far as Les Savy Fav, and planning to dodge Har Mar Superstar.
What was the best thing you read this morning?
A really interesting piece on the Financial Times by Simon Kuper, via Tim O’Reilly on Twitter. It’s about the fact that most people don’t have jobs for life these days, so we’re less likely to define ourselves by what we do and therefore need to define ourselves in other ways.
Send us a picture of something you’ll use a lot this week…
I’m giving a talk at City University tomorrow so I’ll be drawing upon my pile(s) of magazines to find interesting things to throw their way.
If you could have a midweek night out with anyone, doing anything what would it be?
It would have been amazing to go for a drink with Ted Hughes. Just imagine those vowel sounds as the beer set in.
What do you hope to have achieved come Friday?
I’d like to be past the half way point in selling out Printout. It’s the last one of the year, with some of the year’s best new independent magazines coming together to talk about their experiences since launching, and what they’ve got planned for next year.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum