Welcome back to your trusty, funny, slightly random friend, Best of the Web!
This week’s edition doesn’t really have a theme of sorts, it’s just a collection of nice nuggets found in pockets of the web. From some sassy and sweet pictures of a pregnant dachshund, and architecture from the town of Springfield, to someone spending a hefty sum on a very famous painting, there’s plenty to enjoy!
Since Nicki Minaj “broke the internet” for Paper the parodies have been coming thick and fast. Luckily, Nicki has gathered them all in one place. (Owen)
Remembering Brittany Murphy in the month she would’ve turned 40. (Lucy)
The ever mysterious Jai Paul & brother A.K Paul have bought the old BBC building in White City and are turning it into a new space to house a “growing collective of musicians, artists, and technologists”. (Simon)
Vicki Miller’s photos of her pregnant dachshund (below) are set to outdo Beyonce. (Jenny)
Hassan Hajjaj’s photographs of Cardi B for New York Magazine are incredible. (Jenny)
What the Simpsons’ house would look like in different architectural styles. (Beccy)
Sad Topographies: By far the best/most depressing thing I’ve found on Instragram all week. (Will)
Crazy layered time-lapse of the New York City skyline (below) by Julian Tryba based on Einstein’s theory of relativity. (Ruby)
Greggs X Boiler Room. A partnership that got the masses extremely excited, before crushing their dreams at the realisation that it was in fact a joke. (Will)
This week’s episode of This American Life tells the hilarious/ludicrous story of when David Slater was sued by a monkey over copyright for his image of said monkey taking a selfie. Poor Dave! (Lucy)
The most expensive painting sold, ever – a whopping £341m! (Ruby)
A preview of some of the rejected images from The Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize. (Simon)
Boston Dynamics’ Atlas robot (below) has learnt to fucking backflip. (Harry)
Who to Follow
A nice list of nice people who make nice things.
- From North Korea to Galicia via the digital world: the trip that was February's Nicer Tuesdays
- Innovative graphic designer Samuel Bloch on how his work "creates an interesting contradiction"
- Illustrator Lily Kong's vibrant world of marshmallow babies, greenery and cats
- Photographer Dham Srifuengfung's endearingly fabulous shoot starring his childhood nanny
- Easle partners with top industry talent to launch freelance creative hiring platform
- Post-Soviet Visions: image and identity in the new Eastern Europe
- Photo of a single atom wins science photography prize
- Property developer fined $6.7 million for “whitewashing” New York graffiti haven, 5Pointz
- Google tackles image copyright infringement with latest design tweak
- Ikea partners with Hasselblad to offer more “inspiring” prints for its frames
- Meet graphic designer Jonathan Isaacson and his hybrid portfolio
- "Oddities, clumsiness and dogs": the mischievous output of designer Félicité Landrivon