The referendum result is in and Britain is out. Our Hot Topic this week gathers some of the first responses from the creative world as people begin to take stock of the situation. Also, as a distraction from the rolling news coverage, you can also check out our weekly round-up of the articles, podcasts and websites that have caught our attention.
In T Magazine’s 15 Minutes with Ai Weiwei, Aimee Farrell speaks with the artist about his experiences creating his feature-length film Human Flow on the plight of global refugees, and using Instagram as a digital sketchbook. (Emily)
Malcolm Gladwell has launched the Revisionist History podcast where he "will go back and reinterpret something from the past: an event, a person, an idea. Something overlooked. Something misunderstood.” The first episode was fascinating and it will be interesting to hear how the series develops. (Owen)
Our bonkers pals over at Barcelona-based creative collective Hungry Castle have made a toilet rap video. What’s not to love. (Emily)
Bulgaria-born, Berlin-based music producer and multimedia artist Gorazd Popov has created a weird and spooky interactive web page for his last EP for Slit Jockey. Pop-ups give text instructions for guided meditation, which is certainly an unusual approach to music PR. (Emily)
Super interesting article on New Yorker cartoonists generating 500 ideas a week and how they keep going. (Beccy)
Hot Topic x Who To Follow
The referendum. Don’t even get us started. This serves nicely as a good group of creative minds to follow on the social medias too. Stay classy, United Kingdom.
- Podcast company Gimlet’s new identity by GrandArmy is designed not to be too “slick”
- Utopia and dystopia collide in Bysanz Baisen Zhou’s other-worldly creations
- Who are the people with the power to design the system we live in? Digital artist Peter Burr investigates
- Design studio de_form on its exhibition identity for Erik Kessels’ latest show
- Traditional fashion photography, fine art and 3D renders combine in Olya Oleinic's portfolio
- Cabeza Patata on finding the right way to represent the diversity of the world around us
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- A logo costs $1200 in 2019, according to Folyo’s graphic design pricing list
- Juuso Westerlund’s tender photographs of his sons capture the essence of childhood