The referendum result is in and Britain is out. Our Hot Topic this week gathers some of the first responses from the creative world as people begin to take stock of the situation. Also, as a distraction from the rolling news coverage, you can also check out our weekly round-up of the articles, podcasts and websites that have caught our attention.
In T Magazine’s 15 Minutes with Ai Weiwei, Aimee Farrell speaks with the artist about his experiences creating his feature-length film Human Flow on the plight of global refugees, and using Instagram as a digital sketchbook. (Emily)
Malcolm Gladwell has launched the Revisionist History podcast where he "will go back and reinterpret something from the past: an event, a person, an idea. Something overlooked. Something misunderstood.” The first episode was fascinating and it will be interesting to hear how the series develops. (Owen)
Our bonkers pals over at Barcelona-based creative collective Hungry Castle have made a toilet rap video. What’s not to love. (Emily)
Bulgaria-born, Berlin-based music producer and multimedia artist Gorazd Popov has created a weird and spooky interactive web page for his last EP for Slit Jockey. Pop-ups give text instructions for guided meditation, which is certainly an unusual approach to music PR. (Emily)
Super interesting article on New Yorker cartoonists generating 500 ideas a week and how they keep going. (Beccy)
Hot Topic x Who To Follow
The referendum. Don’t even get us started. This serves nicely as a good group of creative minds to follow on the social medias too. Stay classy, United Kingdom.
- Iggy Ldn's poignant new film Silk reclaims the essence of the jazz era in the 21st century
- Ways of Seeing: Laurie Rowan fills FACT's architectural space with a troop of exploring characters
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a journey to "surf discovery" even though he's terrible at surfing
- Photographer Sam Gregg shoots the true face of Naples
- Prolific artist Miroco Machiko’s animal menagerie
- Émergent Magazine's pages function like the walls of a gallery to showcase contemporary painters
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London