An absolute goldmine of shimmering internet nuggets this week as we relieve you of the duty of panning for web-based gold. This time around we have an article about what makes us love or hate a logo, a clip of a Japanese gameshow involving slippery stairs and an interview with David LaChapelle that includes some serious name-dropping. Enjoy!
Liana Finck’s new illustrated advice column, Dr Pepper, for The New Yorker is brilliant. (Ruby)
A vegetable project with a very pun-tastic title. (Bryony)
Zaria Gorvett (a freelance science journalist) on what makes us love or loathe a logo. (Marianne)
Steph Davidson made me lol this week. (Jenny)
A 360 degree zoetrope!! (Simon)
This Twitter thread (including Matt Lucas) about the chaos surrounding Britain’s new “flavours" of crisps is hilarious. (Ruby)
Emily McDonald entered a competition where you had to shoot on super 8 and weren’t allowed to edit it – so all cuts are in camera and meant that “we had to blindly sync our music and VO”. (Bryony)
This bin lip syncing along to the Smiths brought me a lot of joy. (Jenny)
Brilliant commentary on what women should wear to avoid harassment. (Lucy)
Some of the best D&AD Black Pencil winning work dating all the way back to 1997. (Ali)
A selection of some amazing photos (below) that capture the carefree rollerskaters of Venice Beach in LA in 1979. (Beccy)
Great article (with some insane name drops) about David LaChapelle on The Guardian. (Ruby)
An online game teaching people not to touch hair without permission. (Ali)
Japanese game show Slippery Stairs is perfect television. (Jenny)
David Lynch has designed a jewellery collection. (Lucy)
Great article from Creative Review about the art of the Wu Tang Clan, really good way of talking design within a much wider culture. (Simon)
Who to follow
If you don’t follow these five people and tell your friends to follow five more people a curse will be put on your iPhone.
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Leon Mark’s refined and infinitely stylish photography
- Sophie Harris-Taylor shares anecdotes and insights from her photo series, Sisters
- Designer Anatole Couteau's technical approach lets him communicate simply and precisely
- A peek inside Hicham Amrani's trippy new comic Svend & Xanax
- Friday Mixtape: The Orielles mix for "good times with good people"
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura
- Bad week for art world as Jeff Koons piece is smashed and imitation Happy Meal thrown away