It’s the last Bank Holiday weekend for a while now so start it off right by reading up on what the It’s Nice That team has stumbled across this week on the internet. From Hilary Clinton’s branding to a lovely portrait of Blackpool, we’ve got it all in this week’s edition of Best of the Web. If that wasn’t enough we’re also hearing what you guys thought of Roger Dean’s stamp designs this week and a sterling list of people to follow in social media.
I just discovered the Section D podcast by Monocle. It covers a whole range of design disciplines. (Owen)
Could Dafne beat Usain at the 100m if sex didn’t matter? (Jamie)
Fast Co Design go behind the branding of the Hilary Clinton campaign and talk to designer Jennifer Kinon. (Beccy)
This article is really long, but it’s a good nerdy read about the history of the Gif (Alice)
The story behind some of the most-loved and familiar TV theme tunes (Owen)
Playtype have new products in their store for their A/W collection, including these great postcards
I really like this video, Artificial Sunshine by Conor Rollins. A portrait of Blackpool. (Bryony)
Interesting article here about what part of the creative process makes people anxious. (Beccy)
(NSFL) The bloodiest Simpson’s couch gag ever? (Simon)
Quintin Lake isn’t a Quentin Blake tribute act, he’s an ambitious photographer who’s currently walking 10,000km around the entire British coastline and documenting the journey in this often abstract and beautiful series. (Jenny)
Designers love stamps, we know that much already. But do they love stamps designed by prog rock artist Roger Dean? It seems you guys had mixed reviews on his latest creations for Isle of Man Post Office.
— It's Nice That (@itsnicethat) August 23, 2016
If I had stamps like that, I might start writing letters again. https://t.co/s5Atc0ZBwA
— Sam Hankins (@redjellydonut) August 23, 2016
Being an old fan of his, I'm wondering if these are new. That example looks too familiar. https://t.co/h6wLEC24Jm
— reBang™ (@reBang) August 23, 2016
Suddenly I care deeply about stamps and stamp-collecting https://t.co/zI7NiEHbsH
— ✨Sparklebeard✨ (@mo_ranyart) August 23, 2016
itsnicethat</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/70sscifiart">70sscifiart not sure if the surrealist art is a fitting style
— Katina (@karabbitss) August 23, 2016
Bravo Isle Of Man!! BRAVO! https://t.co/khXle9bnVa
— Danny Baker (@prodnose) August 23, 2016
— Terry Gabis (@57sideburns) August 23, 2016
Is everyone on the Isle of Man just tripping tf out or https://t.co/U45emJwety
— Russ Hayes (@russwhayes) August 23, 2016
Who to Follow
Cool 3D World
The place of 3D render nightmares.
If you have a Sheldon Cooper level of interest in flags, you might like art director’s Oskar Pernefeldt new Insta account. It’s quite simply a feed of all the interesting flags from around the world with some interesting captions about the design.
From St.Gallen to Geneva, Swiss Posters is an Instagram dedicated to documenting the design on the streets of Switzerland
Real life and photographer lifestyle as captured by Amy Lombard.
Designer Ben Arfur’s feed is packed full of interesting poster design.
- From documentaries to exhibition design via portraiture and painting, relive June’s Nicer Tuesdays
- Useless is a website mapping out the UK’s zero-waste network
- Material Literacy: Why we need to rethink language to survive the climate crisis
- Welcome to Response and Responsibility, a look at creativity and climate change
- Maurizio Di Iorio tricks the eye with his illusory photography
- With “personality and warmth”, Laura McCluskey turns her lens to those around her
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!