If Best of the Web was a game show it would be the segment in The Price is Right where they spin The Big Wheel, and you either land on a big cash prize, a free spin or nada. Luckily in this simulation, everyone’s a winner as there’s a nugget of internet delight for us all!
This week is graphic designer David Rudnick’s extraordinarily detailed pasta rating on Twitter, pinhole cameras made out of apples and Philip Pullman shares tips for budding writers.
A pancake printing machine. Printing your pancake design. (Owen)
Can really relate to David Rudnick’s pasta rating thread. (Lucy)
Where will CGI go next? wonders this slickly executed video (below), which was funded by Wieden and Kennedy’s “Spore Fund”. (Bryony)
A continually updated collection of swing tag designs. (Jenny)
Derek Man makes cameras out of apples and captures Corbyn in the process. (Marianne)
A parameter-based font generator. (Ruby)
Philip Pullman shares fives tips to help the writer in all of us. (Beccy)
These photos of pigeons are AMAZING. (Jenny)
A twitter bot generating Louis Theroux documentary topics. Enough said. (Ruby)
A Tumblr treasure trove of those bemusing images featured in the wikiHow guides. The one above is from “How to Take Care of a Blind Cat”. (Beccy)
Jordan Stephens from Rizzle Kicks on the toxic notion of masculinity. (Ruby)
Saudi Arabia bestows citizenship on a robot called Sophia, despite the country’s infamy for denying basic human rights to women. (Jenny)
Proudly wear your favourite (or most hated) creative jargon across your chest with this new range of tees by Munch and donate to charity at the same time. (Owen)
Marissa Korda has collected stories about loneliness and made them into this interactive online project. (Bryony)
Wesley Gonzalez has got a new video for his track Not That Kind of Guy, what a belter, and check out one of the funniest videos of 2017 (above). (Lucy)
Listen to this record commissioned by Muji in 1984 when the first stores opened, very relaxing. (Simon)
I’ve only just discovered The Guilty Feminist podcast (better late than never) and it’s already made me walk into work with a more confident stride. Highlight so far is the “Al and Bob experiment” in episode 53. (Jenny)
Who to follow
Some great Insta accounts which will get your thumbs slapping and fingers tappin’.
- Jawa El Khash's latest work resurrects lost artefacts in a virtual afterlife
- “In the end, design is about feelings”: Off Office on its thoughtful design ethos
- Testosterone and the trans gaze: Laurence Philomene on photographing non-binary joy
- Greg Ito’s meticulous portfolio of paintings explores “time, love, loss, hope, and tragedy”
- Books are more than visual reference for Charlotte Ager, they are studies in how to tell stories
- The latest issue of Der Greif takes a shockingly explicit look at censorship (NSFW)
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals