Despite sharing his surname with one of literature’s most dastardly characters, Paul is actually a really nice guy. He’s a well-known, London-based artist and illustrator and is also the creative director of Human After All and the former creative director of Little White Lies magazine. So yeah, pretty talented really. He’s given us a very, very concise peek into his bookshelf today and my oh my does he have some gems! A book of Chinese apothecary packaging design? Yes please.
Robert Crumb: Sketchbooks
I picked up three volumes of Crumb’s sketchbooks after his show in London’s Whitechapel Gallery. I tend to like artists’ sketchbooks way more than their finished pieces most of the time. The drawings are completely uninhibited and unapologetic.
Graphis Annual 63/64
I sound like a broken record now when it comes to these annuals. They’re just a great addition to creatives’ sphere of influence, as they show commercial art from a wildly different time.
This is a collection of black and white illustration work from one of Japan’s most prolific artists and illustrators. I love the bizarreness and fluidity of line. He manages to render simple objects with a unique energy.
Hong Kong Apothecary: a Visual History of Chinese Medicine Packaging
Athlete’s foot packaging has never looked so beautiful.
Diane Arbus: Revelations
Stunning book from one of the best exhibitions I’ve seen in London. She’s had a huge influence on the way I observe characters.
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Leon Mark’s refined and infinitely stylish photography
- Sophie Harris-Taylor shares anecdotes and insights from her photo series, Sisters
- Designer Anatole Couteau's technical approach lets him communicate simply and precisely
- A peek inside Hicham Amrani's trippy new comic Svend & Xanax
- Friday Mixtape: The Orielles mix for "good times with good people"
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura
- Bad week for art world as Jeff Koons piece is smashed and imitation Happy Meal thrown away